yet another- Removing Sulfur

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SaltyTX

Reaction score
Ok, cold crashed a cider at 1.012...didn't want it to dry out too much.

It stinks. I splash racked, but its still noticeable.

I have read dumping CO2 into it to get it out, so far no luck. I did, the other night, just swap a sample between 2 glasses, so I know it will go away....but how to do it in a 5 gallon batch without oxidizing.

This is 2nd batch, first batch had zero sulfur smell, but 1st batch was different yeast.

Thanks for help.

Greg

Sg 1.053
White Labs english cider yeast
5 gal of various preservative free ciders/juices (motts, members mark, local brand)

I would just put it outside for a couple days, if that is an option. Sulphur smell is very common with ciders. Read Edworts Apfelwein thread where he descibes the rhino farts. It will only last two or three days and you won't taste anything like suphur after it is finished. I have read that nutrients help, but by the time you read this and add them it will be done being stinky anyway. RDWHAHB

Just let it sit for awhile and the problem will go away. I am drinking some cider right now that, a few weeks ago, you couldn't even bring the glass to within a foot of your face because the rotten egg smell was so strong. Put it back into the basement for a couple of weeks, and now it smells like apples with not a hint of sulfur.

I had a red wine must that I was very invested in go 'sulfur' on me. I was worried and the more I read I realized I couldn't risk spoilage. So, I tried what you have already and nothing worked. Then I ran it through some copper tube and it was a miracle. No more sulfur. I was warned about copper poisoning but the exposure was so little, and I also realized that wort chillers are made of copper too! Anyway, it would be interesting to see if it worked for cider.

I suppose someone in internet land might search and find this thread-

I did manage to have the sulfur smell go away. I splash racked into a keg closed it up and shook the heck out of it, released the pressure, shook it, released pressure. I let the keg sit at room temp for several days, shaking/knocking it whenever I would walk by and release the pressure. After 3 days it smelled only of apples. I put it into a cold fridge am force carbing it today. We'll see how it tastes tomorrow.

Latest posts

Back