Bottled Weizenbock never carbonated

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BlackDogBrewing

Reaction score
I brewed a Weizenbock back 2/24/10 with Wyeast 3638 Bavarian Wit yeast. I fermented at 68 degrees, transferred to secondary after 21 days and then kept it in my basement at approx 58 degrees for 2 months. I bottled it 5/16 with 5oz priming sugar/2 cups wateras usual, it never carbonated.
I'm positive I added the priming sugar, I'm guessing the yeast dropped out of suspension. Can I open up each bottle and add dry yeast/recap to carbonate. Is this the best way? Is there a better way? If I do this, what dry yeast should I use, and how much to add to each bottle? Thanks. I've never had a batch fail to carbonate before.

I've seen barley wine aged 6 months, that then carb'd fine without adding yeast, and 58 is a decent temp for yeast...
but yeah, maybe you just managed to secondary bulk condition too well.

no sediment in the bottom of the bottles right? if yes, they carb'd and it leaked out, if not then yes you can open each bottle, toss just a few grains of yeast in, recap and cross your fingers.

its not gonna take much yeast at all...I'd try to use a half satchet among the 2 cases...but I've never had to do this myself *knock on wood*

Latest posts

Back