Can hops grow in wet soil?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
A buddy of mine just moved to a new house and wants a "border plant" with a good root system. The catch is that the soil there gets a lot of water, and we're not sure if the roots will take it.

I'm thinking that we could prep the soil by digging deeper holes for each plant and adding a bottom layer of sand and gravel for drainage.

Does anyone have advice or experience, and will hops use up a bunch of water, or is this a bad idea?

They don't like wet soil. A better solution would be to plant them in raised beds with really well prepared soil that will drain. Even then if its a lot of water they probably won't like it.

pickles said:
They don't like wet soil. A better solution would be to plant them in raised beds with really well prepared soil that will drain. Even then if its a lot of water they probably won't like it.

Thanks pickles. On a related note, do hops use a lot of water? I'm guessing most do, given that they're 20' bushy vines.

Latest posts

Back