stout fermentation pretty much stuck... why

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

miatawnt2b

Reaction score
I have a stout in the primary which has not gone below 1.030 for 2 weeks now. It's been in the primary for a total of 4 weeks. It was a fairly big beer for my AG setup, so my efficiency was pretty low at around 66%

5.5gal batch

13lb - 2 row
2.5lb - roasted barley
1.5lb - crystal 10
1lb - chocolate malt

mashed for 1 hour at 158 (probably cooled to 154 within that hour)

1lb molasses in boil
1lb dark brown sugar in boil

OG - 1.088

So I am targeting a 1.025 FG and using safeAle US-05 which has always been a fast and complete fermenter, but it just quit this time at 1.030 (65% attenuation) I've tried stirring a few times, but it won't come back to life. I have used this recipe before and always hit my FG, but I must admit I've never mashed this high as I usually am in the 150-155 range.

So is this beer done? Did my mash temp at 158 cause this crappy attenuation?

-J

Could be. At that temp the mash will produce more dextrins which are unfermentable by the yeast. If your target was 1.025 it doesn't sound that far off so it might be the culprit.

You mashed really high, and had a bunch of crystal. That means you have a lot of unfermentable sugars, so I would say it's done.

I did almost the exact thing a few months ago--mashed at 158°, didn't have near as much specialty grains as you but I finished at 1.030 from 1.082.

Back