Group buy in Chicago?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Payment submitted just a minute ago. Thanks so much for organizing this and taking care of all the legwork bmason, I really appreciate it.

With how quickly this came together, we'll definitely have to do this again in a few months.

Slightly off-topic, but with 110lb of grains coming my way, what do you guys use to store all this grain and keep it from going bad? It will probably stay in my house so rodents are no concern but insects may be?

Payment submitted just a minute ago. Thanks so much for organizing this and taking care of all the legwork bmason, I really appreciate it.

With how quickly this came together, we'll definitely have to do this again in a few months.

Slightly off-topic, but with 110lb of grains coming my way, what do you guys use to store all this grain and keep it from going bad? It will probably stay in my house so rodents are no concern but insects may be?

It's coming along nicely. I have recieved 3 payments already. As far as storage, Costco sells a twin pack of the dispenser below for like $15 if I rmember correctly. I need to get a few more of these.

http://tinyurl.com/6ajej6z

I will be using 5 gallon food grade buckets.

How are the splits going to work?

I will weigh the split orders and package them in plastic bags and seal them with wire ties. I'll weigh the bags there in front of people so they see what they're getting. Is that OK with everyone?

bmason, can you send me the confirmation of the final tally so long as I select to pay the paypal fees? Or post it here, that will work too.

I have containers to bring when I pick up grains and a couple empty grain bags as well, so you can use plastic for mine or wait for me to arrive to partition it, either way works for me.

I was just wondering if you were still found the splits or if we had to arrange time to meet with people splitting. Also wondered how you were going to package it.

I can bring my buckets as well

Home depot "homer" buckets. $3 w/ lid and they hold 25lbs of grain.

I was planning on doing the splits prior to people arriving and picking up their grain. What I can do is have everything weighed out in individual bags and then place the bags in large carton. people can come buy and weigh the any of the bags and grab which ever one. The bags will all have equal weights obviously +/- .03 Lbs (1/2 oz or 14 grams) or better. Is everybody OK with that?

I was planning on doing the splits prior to people arriving and picking up their grain. What I can do is have everything weighed out in individual bags and then place the bags in large carton. people can come buy and weigh the any of the bags and grab which ever one. The bags will all have equal weights obviously +/- .03 Lbs (1/2 oz or 14 grams) or better. Is everybody OK with that?

Definitely. Above and beyond "group buy expectations"... thanks!

Late to the party here, but is it possible to add to the order still? I'd be in for two sacks if it's not too late.

Sathington, unfortunately, the limit is 42 bags per pallet. As it stands without your order we are at 43 bags. We will definitely get you in on the next buy. Sorry, man. Does anybody who has yet to pay want to give up a bag of grain so we can meet come down to our 42 bag limit.

What if someone close to there picks them up? Just a suggestion so everyone gets their order

I doubt that the distributor would want to break up an order and have multiple pick ups. If need be, I'll bump a bag off of my order. But which one is the question? Any other volunteers?

Bmason, do you want to split a sack of Vienna between us instead of each getting our own?

That would get us back down to 42.

Ok, we're at our maximum of 42 bags. Once I have recieved everyone's payment I will place and pay for the order. It would be nice if we could take delivery of the pallet by this Friday and have people come pick up their grain over the weekend into early next week. So if you haven't sent me your payment it will only delay shipping.

Check the spreadsheet not only for pricing errors but make sure that I have updated your payment status. Thanks.

Any word on whether or not you were able to add my order on? If so, I need the link to the sreadsheet so I can send my payment. Thanks.

edit... just saw you response further up the page. Thanks for trying. I'll get in on it next time.

Ace will PM everybody with a new link to the latest quote. I will be receiving checks and echecks from some people. This will take a little bit of time for them to clear. The distributor has a lead time of 24-48 hours for delivery. I think I was being optimistic on having delivery by the end of this week. Looks more like early to middle of next week. As always, I will keep everybody informed.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0009YYQ4S/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

Vittles Vault II 40-Pound Clear Base Cranite Top

A bit expensive but holds about 50lbs of grain food grade and has a sealed lid so its air tight. No bugs will enter and the grain will stay fresh. I have 4 now but another 6 are on the way.

Last edited by a moderator:
bmason1623 said:
Let's just leave it out there for now. If there's enough interest then we can revisit. Anymore people inquire about joining in?

I realize I'm late but I'd be in for future chicagoland purchases...Thanks,
HD

Hawkdiesel said:
HD

I'm sure there's going to be more group buys probably sooner rather than later. Just keep checking in every so often.

Sent from my SGH-T959 using Home Brew Talk

HD

Where in Elmhurst are you? I am off North and York. We haven’t brewed for a few weeks since I tore the crap out of my brew room but the new room is coming along nicely. Once finished you are more than welcome to stop by on a brew day to see the madness! :mug:

I'm out in the northwest suburbs if anyone wants to carpool down to get the grain from bmason.

Thanks again bmason, I appreciate you running this.

Thanks,

I'm on the south west side near Jackson Elementary. I've been looking for some brewers.

Sweet! I am working fast on getting it completed enough to use and we will definitely get together. After the grain is delivered if we get a decent day I will be doing a brew outside if the room isn’t ready then. I will let you know the next time we brew no matter what. I have been twitchy its been so long since I brewed and its only been about 3 weeks!

For anyone that’s interested here is my room in progress.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/new-brew-room-works-236050/#post2786346

Thanks for feedback on containers. Just picked up 4 homer buckets w/ gasketed lids last night, since they're cheap and multi-functional.

According to the spreadsheet, only person w/o payment received or pending is RC0032. Is that so, or is the spreadsheet not current? I'm getting ansy for this stuff now since I have hops and a mill on the way, and a brand new 15-gal single tier stand to christen hopefully by next weekend ~4/9...

Ok, so RC0032 needs to pony up to help get this ball rolling! Sorry I'm nagging, just trying to poke things along. Completely understandable if you're waiting on payday or whatever, RC. Just let us know if there will be any significant delay to your pay?

Think the checks/e-checks will clear in time for a Friday order if the rest of the payments are in?

Mods, if this isn't acceptable please forgive my transgression but it's best if you email me at bmason1623 AT gmail DOT com

thank you.

EDIT: I modified the email address at the great suggestion of 1234. Thanks!

In case you were still waiting on a response.

Spreadsheet has been updated. Just one more payment pending then we're good to order. As usual, I will keep everyone updated.

P.S. I met RC0032...very, very nice guy. I look forward to meeting the rest of you.

Bill

OK. Everyone's payment has cleared. I just transferred the money from my paypal account to my bank account. I'm debating whether to wait for that transfer to clear then make a credit card purchase or just placing the order and sending a check to the distributor who will wait for it to clear. What's everyone's opinion on this? I thin we wont be getting grain in until the end of next week.

OK. Everyone's payment has cleared. I just transferred the money from my paypal account to my bank account. I'm debating whether to wait for that transfer to clear then make a credit card purchase or just placing the order and sending a check to the distributor who will wait for it to clear. What's everyone's opinion on this? I thin we wont be getting grain in until the end of next week.

Whatever is easiest.

Paypal typically takes 2-3 days to clear. I'd pay by card so there are no delays on the vendor side.

Paypal typically takes 2-3 days to clear. I'd pay by card so there are no delays on the vendor side.

Even if you're transferring your own money into your own bank account? That's way too long in my opinion. But I don't have much of a choice...

Back