5 days

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cuinrearview

Reaction score
My primary has been bubbling steadily for five days straight!! Nothing real aggressive, just a nice bubble through the airlock every two seconds or so. This is the longest visable activity I've ever had, and it's only a ~1.060 OG APA. It's my first batch back from three years off of brewing, and I'm enjoying sniffing the airlock as the fermentation continues(anyone else do this?). I would like to collect the yeast from this batch (WL pacific ale) because I feel like this one has some charisma and would make great future IPAs, but SWMBO and I plan on making brewer's pretzels this weekend with the cake (if it's done by then:D ). Tell me about your drawn out, steady fermentations. Temp in the closet is 71-72

Should have clarified, temp on the strip thermometer on the bucket is 72, ambient is close but a degree or two less. The yeast is still at it today. I pulled the airlock and peered in, and there's still a nice krausen on top. I've never had a beer still fermenting a week after brew day, so this is new to me. Anyone else used the White Labs Pacific? There was only one review on their page.

hmph...i hear ya...I made a pils a couple weeks back. fermented with fermentis' W34/70. Took like 2 weeks to get from 1.054 to 1.014.

I'm not worried, I love it!! I'll chalk it up to the boys being "stressed", and contributing more flavors. I'm just a bit peeved about the pretzels(wifey and I's only chance is weekends) and my only primary being tied up with my only homebrew, which I'll now obsess over even longer!!! I want to get a hefe going so I have something to drink. Didn't find many extract recipes on here, so now I'm going bannana hunting!!

I use Pacific ale yeast all the time- I used it in my DFH clone, American amber, APA, and Arrogant Bastard clone most recently. I ferment it on the cool side, like in the 62 degree range, and have been very pleased with the clean neutral flavor of it. I have tons of it in my fridge, so I'll be using it in my next batches of cream ale and APA too.

Hefes are super easy to make, and the recipes on here are very doable. With a hefe, it's all about the yeast.

I made a brew that had 3 lbs of honey in it several months back. That thing was bubbling for a good 2 and a half weeks before it finally quit.

Thanks Yoop! I'm not near your temp. for ferm, but some fruitiness won't bug me a bit. Your IPA looks tasty, but I've yet to become a masher. Don't think I'll ever get there, due to lack of space here on the lake. Only 1600 sqare feet, but over 2000 feet of frontage and surrounded by water on the peninsula:D . I guess life has it's comprimises.

Almost any AG beer can be done with extract and small boils, so don't be intimidated at all by "bigger" beers.

Oh, that lake sounds awesome! What a way to live.

I'm going to be brewing a big IPA as soon as I get a 6.5 carboy and blowoff, beeeeellllleeeevvve me!! Probably something with lots of centennial patterned after one inspired by your neck of the woods:rockin: .

Back