Beautiful night to brew in illinois!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dmbshen41

Reaction score
image-2290816842.jpg

Well its kind of cold here but i was brewing last Friday and it was perfect 52F

Another Chicago brewer here...today was really nice. Wish I weren't stuck at work all day. I plan on brewing on Sunday, but I do indoors in the winter using 2 burners on the gas stove.

twalte said:
As a Chicago native, I am amazed that I see no white stuff in the background of your photo. It is January, right????

Yes it is amazing there is no snow, it just melted away not long ago, hopefully more is coming soon

twalte said:
What....you're wishing for snow??????

I haven't wished for snow since I had "snow days" off from school as a kid.

Well IMO if its going to be freezing temps outside might as well be snow on the ground

dmbshen41 said:
Well IMO if its going to be freezing temps outside might as well be snow on the ground

Exactly. My kids are driving me crazy without the snow. We gave them all sleds for Christmas this year and haven't been able to use them yet.

Not too bad out here in the boondocks, either [about 25 miles east of Rockford], but that's all gonna change later today. We have NOT been below zero in about two years, but we're looking at -5° for a low Monday night. So, if you're brewing outdoors, do it today!

glenn514:mug:

Didn't brew today, but I was able to transfer a couple of batches from buckets to kegs and then cleaned up the garage. This past week as been about perfect for cold crashing in the garage. Buckets sat at about 40 degrees for a few days, then today it was warm enough to actually work outside without the heater running.

I think my sister in Raleigh, NC has seen more snow this season than I have in the west suburbs of Chicago (so far).

I decided to brew today, but in the kitchen. Mashed in around 10 am and ran to Brew Camp for yeast. I love that I can get there and back in 15 minutes while mashing.

I think my sister in Raleigh, NC has seen more snow this season than I have in the west suburbs of Chicago (so far).

Brewed yesterday here in the SW burbs when it was near 50 outside...:ban:

Fired up the smoker too. In January in Chicago.. :rockin:

Only had a couple of dustings of snow just before Christmas..Parents live about 150 miles away near Galena and had a couple 12 in. plus snow falls but we only got rain out of them. Unreal snow drought here the last 2 winters and the warmest 2 winters on record ever I believe. It looks like it gonna suck to be a midwest farmer again this year, but hope that changes..

forstmeister said:
Exactly. My kids are driving me crazy without the snow. We gave them all sleds for Christmas this year and haven't been able to use them yet.

This could be my fault. I bought a new snowblower last year, finally caving in after the previous 2 winters. Hasn't snowed enough to use it since.

This could be my fault. I bought a new snowblower last year, finally caving in after the previous 2 winters. Hasn't snowed enough to use it since.

Yeah, I have a few friends that are big into snowmobiles and tried talking me into 1 for a few years now.. I was on the fence and then quickly jumped off. Basically no snow here in 2 years so a good choice. They have to drive up to Northern Wisc or the U.P. to use them dam things. I am fine with a 4 wheeler. Can't go 120mph on the snow like those crazy goons but that is a good thing for me..

Latest posts

Back