Add more yeast for bottle carbonation after bulk ageing for 2 years?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

badnewsblair

Reaction score
I have had my first mead (AZ_IPA's raspberry melamel) bulk ageing in a carboy for nearly 2 years now and I would like to carbonate some in bottles so I can give it to friends as a gift. Should I add additional yeast (maybe a champagne yeast?) at bottling time to ensure carbonation or would there still be enough live but maybe dormant yeast left to do the job? Anyone have some experience with this?

Thanks!

Generally speaking meads are served flat. Some sparkling do exist though... if you insist on carbonating I would use a champagne yeast like montrochet or Lavlin EC-1118 is pretty hardy. Make sure you rehydrate and I would not use a full packet. Maybe 1/4. make sure you rehydrate!

There are possibly still some yeast cells that are alive depending on the alcohol but there would definitely not be enough to carbonate nor would they be viable cells...Stick to fresh ones.

The other thing to keep in mind is alcohol tolerance. Adding fresh yeast to a drink that is 14+% ABV still won't carbonate it- even a higher tolerance for the new yeast strain wouldn't necessarily work because yeast added to a high ABV drink will die of alcohol poisoning before replicating and being able to carbonate your mead.

It depends on the OG and the FG and the current ABV, but I probably wouldn't try to carbonate it as most likely the reason it stopped was because it had reached the "finish point" of the yeast strain.

Looking at the recipe used here, the OG/FG lead to a 12.5% final product. The yeast used has tolerance to 14%, so it *might* carbonate...

Thanks folks! From the sounds of it AZ_IPA's original melamel went over well when served carbonated so that's what got me thinking I should do the same. Perhaps for force carbonating with CO2 is the way to go for me, but admittedly I don't have much experience (and even less success) bottling from a keg.

Back