Fermentation Stopped?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Since83

Reaction score
Hi all -

I have a 5 Gal batch of Riesling going that I started on Sunday the 16th. I made a starter with 5 grams of a Rhone 4600 yeast (S. Cerevisiae), and 7 gm. of nutrient, and once that was going good I pitched it. OG was 1.080

After about 24 hours I had decent action in the air-lock, but I popped the top of the primary fermenter to see what was going on, and since then, I have seen no bubbles in the airlock.

I thought maybe my kitchen was too warm (high 70's), so I brought it to the basement. Still nothing visibly happening.

Tonight (wednesday) I took another gravity reading - 1.040, so it seems something happened. Temp was 72.8

My question is do I panic and get another starter going and re-pitch, or do I give it a few more days and take another gravity reading to confirm if it is dropping or if it has stalled?

If it has stalled, what is the downside to not re-pitching ASAP? What is the downside to just re-pitching?

There is a fine white film on the surface - and it smells fine, and from what I tasted, it tastes fine.

Any input?

Thanks very much!

if it went from 1.080 to 1.040 in 3 days then im sure you are fine...leave it alone for a few more days and take a reading.

Back