Best way to age given my situation?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jtswkd

Reaction score
I have a RIS I just brewed via BIAB method: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f68/russian-imperial-stout-2011-hbt-competition-category-winner-238807/
Hit my mash temp of 152 F and mashed for 90 min, dropped to 149 before I started boil. Came out to 72% eff with a OG of 1.074 and a SG of 1.098. Using 2 packets of US-05 so figuring FG of 1.018.
I am going to age this beer while I am deployed to Afghanistan late this spring/summer into late fall/early winter. I would like it to be ready to drink when I return (9ish months from now) so I was planning to let sit in primary for 3-4 weeks then bottle and let sit in a closet out of the boss' sight until I return. So I have a few questions:

1. Will this allow for proper aging?
2. Will this beer be carb'd up without any additions or should I add some extra yeast/sugar to carb it?

I will be able to mess with it for another 5-6 weeks but then I am too busy or gone, should I just not have it ready when I get back and bulk age in a better bottle (all I got) or do the primary then bottle plan? I feel like nearly 8 months in a bottle should allow for some good aging

1. Will this allow for proper aging?

So long as it doesn't get too cold, it should carb up just fine and as long as it doesn't get too warm or have wide temperature swings it should age just fine too.

2. Will this beer be carb'd up without any additions or should I add some extra yeast/sugar to carb it?

Well, you're going to need to add priming sugar just as you would anything else, but I wouldn't add any extra. The style isn't meant to be carbed at too high of a level.

sorry, that came out wrong, I meant just extra yeast, read in other posts that with bigger beers sometimes having extra yeast added before bottling was useful. It will sit in a ground floor in a closet where the temps will stay steady. Living in Phoenix AZ now so the heat sucks but we have 2 AC units for the house and thye keep the temps stable on each floor of the house.

Thanks for your service. God bless.

Your beer should be fine. I like to get mine in the bottle as quick as I can. It feels like it isn't safe until then.

Thanks junga, I think I'll let it sit in primary for 3-4 weeks then bottle. Saved up 2 cases of Grimbergen Beer bottles, the 11.2 oz shouldn't be a big deal since I boiled .5gal too much off, just went with it for the extra ABV. Can't wait to try this one out when I get home!

Back