US-05 substitute for Wyeast 1010 in an American wheat or should I try something else?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

msa8967

mickaweapon
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I had planned tro brew 5 gallons of an American wheat (hefe) this weekend using Wyeast 1010. Now I have a request to make that 10 gallons instead of 5 but since there are no LHBS near me I cannot get another smack pack of 1010. Thus, I was thinking about using dry US-05 for 5 gallons and Wyeast 1010 for the other five.

My question is can anyone suggest a better dry yeast to try to use instead of US-05 as a substitution? I don't know how long it would take to try to build up one smack pack of 1010 into enough for 10 gallons instead of 5 gallons. I have never attempted trying to build up a yeast to twice the pitching size before and I am not sure of how to go about it. I do have a stir plate.

Thanks,

05 will work great!! I use it all the time for my American Wheats. It will be nice to split the batch between the two yeasts and compare/contrast the difference.

+1 on the 05. It is what I use for my American wheat as well. The yeast is in the background on these. It's hard to beat the convenience of dry yeast, as well as the price. I love the directions on the package: "Sprinkle into wort". They are nice quick fermenters as well. The kegs of these wheats don't seem to last very long!

Try Nottingham. Another clean yeast like 05. I am making an american wheat right now, and it was made with notty. I hopbursted this one, and it already is tasting pretty damn good after one week in the keg. I fermented at 64 and it definitely seems real clean.

make a huge starter with 1010 and split it between the two batches.

05 will work fine. WB-06 would work as well. Or Danstar Munich. Depends on whether you want 10 gallons of American Wheat style or 5 American and 5 more Authentic

Thanks for the advice everyone. I think I will have multiple variations to try in the coming months. I plan to use 0.75 oz of sweet orange peel in the boil during the last 5 minutes to help drinkers "not liking homebrew" give this a try. I usually prefer wheat w/o strong banana or clove notes so i was looking for a fairly neutral yeast to try.

Back