Porch/Lawnmower Beers

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

UselessBrewing

Reaction score
I am going to make a Lite American Lager. This one will have 30% adjuncts to it and a nice floral finish and should be a refreshing Porch/Lawnmower beer, also it should only have to lager for about 30 days. This is attempt number two at this recipe. The first one was fair so I made some changes, they are as follows: Substituting half of the 2 row with a Pilsner malt, First Wort Hopping this time, and Increasing the Adjuncts. I plan on a 11G batch, splitting the batch using two different yeasts. I have a lager yeast cake that I'm going to pitch half onto (WPL800) that made a great Pilsner, And I'm going to do a Steam beer with the other half using Danstar's Nottingham fermenting down around 60-64.

At this point you may be asking yourself (why make a BMC?). Well my favorite beer style is an English Amber and in the past I have not strayed to far from that style/type. I am trying to expand my brewing processes in an attempt to be a better brewer, as I hope we all would. I have recently started brewing lighter beers (Lagers that are light in Alcohol, Body, and Color) that have lots of character and complexity which is not as easy as it sounds.

Personally, I am of the opinion that not everything is about Hop Monsters and High OG! I have enjoyed this journey tremendously and I hope everyone is open minded and gives it a try.

I'm calling this one "Spuds Evil Clone".
Style: Lite American Lager
TYPE: All Grain
Taste: (35.0) It's a Spudweiser Clone, what do you expect it will taste like!

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Batch Size: 11.00 gal
Boil Size: 14.07 gal
Estimated OG: 1.035 SG
Estimated Color: 2.6 SRM
Estimated IBU: 11.7 IBU
Brewhouse Efficiency: 75.00 %
Boil Time: 90 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amount Item Type % or IBU
5 lbs Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 35.71 %
5 lbs Pilsner (2 Row) Ger (2.0 SRM) Grain 35.71 %
2 lbs Corn, Flaked (1.3 SRM) Grain 14.29 %
2 lbs Minute Rice (1.0 SRM) Grain 14.29 %
0.75 oz Hallertauer [4.80 %] (60 min) (First WortHops 7.5 IBU
0.75 oz Hallertauer [4.80 %] (20 min) Hops 4.2 IBU
0.50 oz Hallertauer [4.80 %] (0 min) Hops -
0.50 tsp Irish Moss (Boil 10.0 min) Misc
2.00 tbsp PH 5.2 Stabilizer (Mash 60.0 min) Misc
1 Pkgs Nottingham (Danstar #-) Yeast-Ale
1 Pkgs Pilsner Lager (White Labs #WLP800) Yeast-Lager

Mash Schedule: (PB) Double Infusion, Light Body
Total Grain Weight: 14.00 lb
----------------------------
(PB) Double Infusion, Light Body
Step Time Name Description Step Temp
30 min Protein Rest Add 12.60 qt of water at 132.1 F 122.0 F
60 min Saccrification Add 11.20 qt of water at 187.9 F 150.0 F
10 min Mash Out Add 11.20 qt of water at 210.3 F 168.0 F

Cheers!

Preston

Please don't use beano. No matter how long you let that beer condition...you'll likely get gushers.

Two things for dry beers:

1) Like Bobby said, 150 degrees.
2) Mash that beer for 90 minutes.

Between those two things, I'd bet you'll end up around 1.005 as a FG.

That recipe looks very similar to a cream ale (esc) that I do. Except I use minute rice instead of flaked rice.

1) Like Bobby said, 150 degrees.
2) Mash that beer for 90 minutes.
Between those two things, I'd bet you'll end up around 1.005 as a FG.
That recipe looks very similar to a cream ale (esc) that I do. Except I use minute rice instead of flaked rice.
Loud and clear on the Beano. I already planed on the 150, and will extend the mash for 90 min. I had planned on doing the Minute Rice, just did not have that as a selection in my ingredients listing. Guess I should copy the Flaked Rice and rename it to Minute Rice. It is already Gelatinized right, so it just needs hydration.

Thanks for the input

Cheers :mug:

Preston

...It is already Gelatinized right, so it just needs hydration.

I never hydrate. I just toss it into my grain pale along with everything else and mash like normal.

I don't even do a step mash with my cream ale and it turns out crystal clear faster than any of my other recipes.

clearestbeer.jpg

BM

What is your cream ale listed as under your recipes?

That's not one I've posted yet...but will.

I bottled up a case last Sunday for Mom's day and took to the in laws. Even my F-I-L, a 78 year-old Miller Lite Die hard, had two. Everywhere I looked, the gals were drinking it.

"...this is your best beer yet..." they said. :(

Here's a run-down.
"Cream of Three Crops Light Ale"

Batch Size: 11.50 gal
Boil Size: 14.26 gal
Estimated OG: 1.040 SG
Estimated Color: 2.9 SRM
Estimated IBU: 14.3 IBU
Brewhouse Efficiency: 75.0 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amount Item Type % or IBU
12.00 lb Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 70.6 %
4.00 lb Corn, Flaked (1.3 SRM) Grain 23.5 %
1.00 lb Minute Rice (1.0 SRM) Grain 5.9 %

1.00 oz Williamette [5.20%] (60 min) Hops 8.2 IBU
1.00 oz Crystal [3.50%] (60 min) Hops 6.1 IBU

SafAle American Ale (DCL Yeast #US-56) Yeast-Ale

I mashed at 152-154 for 90 minutes. Single infusion.

MINUTE RICE?!!? :eek:

(that might be the key for the Smirnoff-clone I want to brew for the wife; a little domestic 2-row and some instant rice, then filter the hell out of it.)

MINUTE RICE?!!? :eek:

(that might be the key for the Smirnoff-clone I want to brew for the wife; a little domestic 2-row and some instant rice, then filter the hell out of it.)

Yeah…I don’t consider it a proud “craft beer”, but the masses sure enjoyed it. The rice really lightens up the grainy flavor.

My next go-round I’m going to double the rice and drop the corn to 3 pounds.

AB’s got nothing on me baby…:ban:

So, instant rice... obviously no cereal mash or anything like that, right? Toss it right in the main mash and do a single infusion?

Right. I read up on it quite a bit. It's great for maintaining/boosting the ABV without adding any malty/grainy flavor.

It's a far cry cheaper than flaked rice from the LHBS too.

BM.

What is your lager schedule?
I noticed you uses lager yeast in one and Notty in the other? EDIT: Sorry BM that was the recipe from the first poster.

since I got my keezer I have my empty beer fridge and I am thinking of doing a first lager for a beach trip I have latter this summer.

Temps and length?

Is there a dry lager yeast that is as good as notty as far as easy of use and success rate?

T

I will/should just start a thread on its own about newb lagers

Here is my Lager schedule. It's pretty standard for the most part. Depending on the yeast you may or may not need a Diactle rest. Lager yeast is slower and may or may not finish in the allotted time frame. Trust your FG readings and you will be fine.
14 days @ 50deg F
I start taking FG readings at 10 days. When it's about 75% complete I take it out and let it finish all the way to FG at 70 deg F (about 2 to 3 days (This is the Diactle rest)).
Move to Secondary for 20 days @ 35 deg F. Last ten days I add a clearing agent (I usually use a Gelatin)
Transfer to Keg for Lagering another 30 days.\

I am expecting this go all the way down to 1.008.

Hope this helps

Cheers

Preston

Back