What did I do wrong; I would like to do it again.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LuiInIdaho

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
The other night we opened a bottle of homemade wine - a rhubarb wine. It had a clear color and a little sediment in the bottle. When we opened the bottle, it popped like a champagne. When we poured it into a glass, it had the effervescence of a sparkling wine. I was pleasantly surprised that we had created a rhubarb sparkling wine with a great color and flavor. Is it normal to add campden tablets (or another stabilizer) at bottling time? I don't recall doing any of this. Any way, the bit of yeast sediment was easy to put up with given that we got a sparkling wine. Also, if we try to do this again, would it be recommended to use champagne bottles and wire cork hoods?

Thanks in advance for your help. mark:mug:

LuiInIdaho said:
The other night we opened a bottle of homemade wine - a rhubarb wine. It had a clear color and a little sediment in the bottle. When we opened the bottle, it popped like a champagne. When we poured it into a glass, it had the effervescence of a sparkling wine. I was pleasantly surprised that we had created a rhubarb sparkling wine with a great color and flavor. Is it normal to add campden tablets (or another stabilizer) at bottling time? I don't recall doing any of this. Any way, the bit of yeast sediment was easy to put up with given that we got a sparkling wine. Also, if we try to do this again, would it be recommended to use champagne bottles and wire cork hoods?

Thanks in advance for your help. mark:mug:

I'm not up on my winemaking tech. If you want sweet wine you would have to stabilize to back sweeten. Definitely use champagne bottles with hoods if you are aiming for sparkling.

you bottled wine that wasn't quite done fermenting. to recreat prolly best to let it ferment dry then add some priming surgar and bottle in champagne or beer bottles

Kampo said:
you bottled wine that wasn't quite done fermenting. to recreat prolly best to let it ferment dry then add some priming surgar and bottle in champagne or beer bottles

This.

Back