Fridge Ferm Chamber - Min Temp

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

luke2080

Insert Witty Title Here..
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
For those of you that have built or used a fermentation chamber, using a mini-fridge: What is the lowest temperature you can maintain.

After lots of liquid nails, cursing, improper tools, no work space, and screws that wouldn't go in all the way, my ferm chamber is done. Used the old college dorm fridge. But it seems the lowest temp I can get it to maintain is 53. I was hoping to at least be able to maintain as low as 45.

My pic for this is attached. Did I just build on too much for the one fridge? I don't have a fan inside for circulation, so I should put that in. Any other quick and easy options for me to lower the temp? The inside of this has two layers of styrofoam insulation, and lots of caulk. I can't find anywhere, where air is noticeably escaping.

WP_000146 (640x480).jpg

Could be the fridge isn't charged with refrigerant if it's old.

I was using it as a fridge up until the day before, and the mini-freezer inside it was frozen. I do need to be sure I don't fry it by continuing to try to go lower than 53, but it is still charged with refrigerant.

i was having issues with maintaining a low temp with mine for a while. I had my temp probe at one end my cooling unit at the other. I moved my temperature prob to the middle of the chamber then added two small 4" desk fans. They are in opposing corners of the chamber. One blows towards the far wall, and the fan mounted on the far wall blows back against the cooling unit. It helped a bit. You have to remember that fridge was never made to cool that large of a space so you have to help it along.

Back