Mr beer American Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

a_chuhran

Reaction score
I am new to homebrewing. I got a kit for christmas and followed the directions and set it up only about a week ago. Its been kept dark and at a steady safe temp. However there seems to be little to no activity. I does have the krausen line in the fermenter. I did a sample taste per the instructions of a MR BEER rep and it tasted flat and not sweet but its cloudy still. How to i tell if all is well?

If it tasted flat and 'not-sweet', then all is well.

The only real way to tell what is going on is to use an hydrometer. I'm assuming you don't have one.

Before fermentation the wort is essentially a sugar syrup, and tastes really sweet. The yeast then convert the sugars to alcohol, and it gets less sweet.

When you carbonate it (bottle it) the carbonation will make it feel fuller and sweeter.

Leave it at least another week before bottling, It is worth leaving the beer on the yeast longer to allow the yeast to clean up some undesirable flavors.

Thanx for the answer. Thats what my gut said but at least now i know i should follow it.

Latest posts

Back