Cluster vs challenger

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mindhop

Reaction score
I have read this so many times on this site. I went to the LHBS and picked up the wrong hops. My recipe calls for cluster and I picked up challenger. It's the only hops addition (Irish stout). Will I see a noticeable flavor difference? Any opinion would be great

10 gal dry Irish stout
Marris otter 12 lbs
Flaked barley 4 lbs
Roasted barley 2 lbs
Irish ale yeast
Recipe calls for 3 oz cluster at 60 min

With bittering hops there is very, very little difference in flavor... most people wouldn't notice if they drank both side by side. The only thing I would be concerned about is if your IBU/AAU are correct. Cluster and Challenger tend to fall in the same range, so they should be close, but I would make sure and adjust accordingly. Honestly, if anything, using challenger would be more appropriate since it is a British hop and cluster is American.

Thanks for the input. I will check out the ibu's like you said. Thanks for the help.

Cheers!

Greg Noonan in "New Brewing Lager Beer" essentially said of Cluster "I've never used it and I see no reason to do so, for anything." Good mistake.

Pilgarlic said:
Greg Noonan in "New Brewing Lager Beer" essentially said of Cluster "I've never used it and I see no reason to do so, for anything." Good mistake.

Feeling better about my mistake! Mug!

I'm in the minority that likes to use Cluster in some beers but in this one Challenger is a far better choice.

Latest posts

Back