Hurricane Sandy

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Airborneguy said:
I'm inside tonight finally, catching a little break. The worst part about this now is I'm working so much I can't attend to my own family's needs. My next day off is Saturday so hopefully I can get some stuff done then.

I feel you airborne. I'm a flight mech for the coast guard and actually flew to ny the morning after it hit. Had no ideal how my house had faired since I live on the barrier island of brigantine just north of Atlantic city. I finally got to my house yesterday morning and besides just some flooding in the crawlspace underneath no damage. After seeing the devastation sandy caused from atlantic city to ny I am truly thankful at how lucky I am and hope it's working out for you and your family.

Anyone in Central NJ? My folks in Hillsborough are having a hard time finding gas. My brother had to search in Flemington for them. If you know of any gas stations that have some please let me know in a PM (or here if anyone else shows interest). Thanks.

In other news, Princeton University re-opened for critical personnel today. I guess that's some good news for businesses in that area.

Be safe to those who are still without power or working to get it back on!

todd_k said:
Anyone in Central NJ? My folks in Hillsborough are having a hard time finding gas
My boss was just telling me he saw a news piece on this. I always suspect the media of sensationalizing things but I am saddened to hear this is actually a problem that is affecting your folks :( I guess there is always a silver lining. Learn to prepare for the worst.

Staten island got a small amount of coverage on the news tonight. Nowhere near the amount it should have gotten. The news chose instead to cover other areas extensively. The death toll is higher on staten island than anywhere else but got covered the least. Most stories were about people pi$$ed off about not having power. Nothing about the 2 and 4 year old siblings torn from their mothers arms after being denied help at someones doorstep. No mention of the father and son found in each others arms crushed by debris. Wont hear about the 13 year old girl killed as she and her father tried to protect their house. I'm not saying other places didnt deserve coverage but the county with th highest death toll should at least get a two minute piece.

This is so sad :( I know most of you aren't religious but I look forward to a time when a conclusion had been brought to this tragic system of things. I wish there was something I could do to help somehow.

No power. Kids are at my parents with power. Theyre gettng sick so i'd rather them stay there where theres heat. I'm home because blue n whites have been coming around warning of looters. My wife waited for an hour to get some gas and i heard of people siphoning gas. Ain't gonna leave it for them to take. Just sitting here reading stories of disaster after disaster. Maybe i should be training for the marathon.

Just as a silly aside.....i made a starter today for a cider with some wlp 550. It never started. Its so cold in my house, my yeast wont even get out of bed.

I'll try to stop by this weekend with a few guns and hang out. I still have my "you loot we shoot" hat from Katrina.

Kirk, you good?

I've been working so much I can't help anyone I know. Can't wait till this weekend.

Just as a silly aside.....i made a starter today for a cider with some wlp 550. It never started. Its so cold in my house, my yeast wont even get out of bed.

Now that deserves a segment on the news!!! :p :mug:

Hang in there guys, and good luck. If there's any way HBTers can help, let us know. I've seen this community do some great things for people.

What is involved in a care package for this one? I'd be willing to donate but I think someone will need to identify what is needed, what we can provide and who can organize.

ABC Nightline says FEMA has been on Staten Island for two days. How's the going? :eek:

Again, hang in there fellows. Best wishes.

I guess clothes would be best.

AZ, FEMA has supposedly showed up, but none of the hardest hit areas have seen them yet.

One of my friends at work just said that his father saw bodies being brought into a school by him that no one is reporting. They're saying 19 but its supposedly in the 100s. I can't wait till my days off so I can survey the area and see what I can find.

Have family in clinton, and they fared well...higher water level than irene, but didn't get into the house. Couple trees down as well, but didn't hit the house. Seeing pics all over the web and news proves they're lucky.

Good luck to all those out there, and thanks for the selfless service.

FYI, sounds like a nor'easter is headed your way next week...when it rains (and surges) it pours...

I need a chain saw. Con ed inspector said theres two trees down that are preventing them from turning power back on. One of them is gone, the other is two doors down. So damn close to having power back.

Just read an article about non-union crews from Southern States coming to help being turned away from working in New Jersey.

Seems a bit ridiculous to me..

I saw caravans of about 70 trucks from Quebec Hydro heading south on the way into work this morning. There was another squadron waiting on the mass pike exit most likely heading to the NYC area. Help from our friends from the north.

rifraf said:
Just read an article about non-union crews from Southern States coming to help being turned away from working in New Jersey.

Seems a bit ridiculous to me..

Happens all the time...we're non union and I can tell you this from experience....and if they let us in the union guys mess with our stuff,cut tires,etc. We're just trying to help our and make a good living! Funny thing is most of the ones they treaty that way want to be unionized....or at least used to!

TheDudeLebowski said:
I saw caravans of about 70 trucks from Quebec Hydro heading south on the way into work this morning. There was another squadron waiting on the mass pike exit most likely heading to the NYC area. Help from our friends from the north.

We heard last night that they (QH) had a fatality....

I took the call at my precinct a few minutes ago. I was cheering as I wrote the message down!

I am actually surprised that this happened. I am very excited the Bloomberg actually made a smart decision. Now you can go relax for a few days:mug: before you go to, SI,Brooklyn, Breezy and Rockaway and help out all my friends and family :D

I'm planning on heading to one of the worst neighborhoods in SI on Sunday with a few friends. Hopefully we can help some people or pull a few bodies out respectfully so they don't sit in the water much longer.

I seriously would love to come help if I could...but my car would never make it there and I don't think I could get anyone else to volunteer to drive. Also, I wouldn't have any idea where to start to help and where to go...

I'm planning on heading to one of the worst neighborhoods in SI on Sunday with a few friends. Hopefully we can help some people or pull a few bodies out respectfully so they don't sit in the water much longer.

Have been watching the Sandy benefit..Man, SI was hit so friggin hard. Sucks so bad. It's gonna take so long to come if at all in some places. People are saying they just want to go home, but no home to go to...Very very sad. Please donated what you can..I did..

Someone walked into the precinct with a stray that is on the verge of death, cocker spaniel. I'm going to take him home. A lot of people apparently abandoned or lost their pets because we're finding tons.

I've got a feeling that a lot of the previously abandoned or lost people are going to be found in the next few days also.

Just my anger regarding the marathon.

He only cancelled it because only one other person in any position of "authority" was on his side: the ***** that runs the New York Road Runners, Mary Wittenberg (hmm, from now on, I will always be wary of people whose names end in -berg).

Literally, from the President on down, EVERY SINGLE elected official with any concern regarding NYS/NYC came out against his stupidity.

We've got crews that have came from as far away as Alabama that made it to NJ only to be told....oh, we thought you were union....we can't use you. WTF, I can understand regular work, but during natural disasters you should take your egotistical heads out of your arrogant asses and let Americans help Americans! For those of you that aren't seeing yellow "pike" trucks its a pretty good chance that your area is only allowing union contractors as we have crews working everywhere they will allow us.

2BeerSpeer said:
We've got crews that have came from as far away as Alabama that made it to NJ only to be told....oh, we thought you were union....we can't use you. WTF, I can understand regular work, but during natural disasters you should take your egotistical heads out of your arrogant asses and let Americans help Americans! For those of you that aren't seeing yellow "pike" trucks its a pretty good chance that your area is only allowing union contractors as we have crews working everywhere they will allow us.

I couldn't believe they were turning away non union workers! What's worse is some of the audio of them being called "scumbags" and other names. That's the thanks they get for trying to help out? I agree, when there's a natural disaster, all that crap needs to be set aside. That's exactly why some people find it hard to put themselves out to help others anymore. There's little to no appreciation a lot of the time. People are suffering and they're worried about union/non union nonsense.

The story now, at least out of NJ, is that the whole union/non union thing was a big misunderstanding or did not come from proper authorities.

Governor of New Jersey, Chris Christie, said he'll take the help from union and non union alike.

Zuljin said:
The story now, at least out of NJ, is that the whole union/non union thing was a big misunderstanding or did not come from proper authorities.

Governor of New Jersey, Chris Christie, said he'll take the help from union and non union alike.

I'll believe that when I see it...if it is true we'll be headed that way soon bit I don't see it happening. If I lived in a place that let union/ nonunion BS keep me or my loved ones from getting power in a time like this, my house would be on the market! The customers deserve to be treated better than that!

Unions rule around here when it comes to the trades. It's obviously not a good situation for anyone except the unions usually. I'm in a union also, but its completely different than the trades. Mine exists mostly to provide representation to us in the event of work related accusations.

Airborneguy said:
Unions rule around here when it comes to the trades. It's obviously not a good situation for anyone except the unions usually. I'm in a union also, but its completely different than the trades. Mine exists mostly to provide representation to us in the event of work related accusations.

It doesn't even affect me as I'm in Pa right now but in a state of crisis u would think they would let any and everybody help! I really understand their concern when it comes to everyday work but this is totally different.....my guess is most of the union heads have power! There are women,children,and elderly who are cold, hungry, and need gas who probably don't give a damn who fixes their power...funny thing is a lot of us want to be union pretty bad but stuff like this make ud have 2nd thoughts! Be safe brew bro...

Back