Not your usual fermentation speed question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sutepan

Reaction score
Monday evening I pitched a Wyeast 1098 smackpack into an IPA with an SG of 1.062. Forty-eight hrs later the krausen has fallen, took another reading and it came in at 1.014. Nice....and FAST.

My question is this: Has there been any study done on the effects of fermentation speed on the character of the beer? If the same beer took 72hrs or more to reach 1.014, how would the final beer differ?

This question may have been answered before, but I suck at the 'search' function in here...

Wow and those were accurate readings?! That is very interesting that it went that fast. I would wait at least a little while to let the yeast clear up a bit but I am guessing that you can get a quick turn around with this beer.

Yep, if anything pitched at the '21 end' of 22 if you know what I mean. Gonna send her to the secondary in the morning and let it condition.

are you dry hopping in the secondary?

Haven't decided, using a clone recipe I found for one of my favourite beers. If I go by the recipe, no. If I go by instinct, 30g Willamette for 9-10 days. Last addition was 28g Willamette @ 2min. It would be my first time using Willamette as a dry hop

Haven't decided, using a clone recipe I found for one of my favourite beers. If I go by the recipe, no. If I go by instinct, 30g Willamette for 9-10 days. Last addition was 28g Willamette @ 2min. It would be my first time using Willamette as a dry hop

if it was my beer i would not move it off of the yeast so quickly unless i was doing something like dry hopping, even then i would give it more time on the yeast. nothing happens in the secondary that can't happen in the primary. i try to avoid moving the beer unless it's into a CO2 flushed keg.

I hear ya, so much debate on the necessity of a secondary. After 10yrs+ brewing I'm pretty confident on my cleanliness/sanitation. I usually transfer right after the krausen falls, that way getting a nice yeast cake under the beer in the secondary while racking off the trub as soon as possible.

All that being said, heard anything about the different effect of a fast/slow clean fermentation on the final beer?

Back