Simcoe/Pride of Ringwood Hops

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SRFeldman79

Beverage Consultant/Sales Rep
Reaction score
I've zero experience with either of these hops, aside from BMC-esque australian lagers and Simcoe in some commercial IPAs I've had.

Anyone with familiarity, think these could be used in an american red ale? I'm thinking something pretty full of malt flavor, maybe even more a brown than a red, but also pretty hoppy, in the mid 50s IBUs wise...

I love simcoe, it's one of my favorite pale ale hops. However, it can be a little overpowering and may not share the stage well when you want the malt to come through. But who knows, it could be great.

my initial thought was the ringwood for bittering, then two simcoe flavor additions, maybe just .5 oz each - i haven't run it through beertools yet.

maybe if its going to overpower the malt though ill do kind of a mix - both hops for bittering and both for flavor.

with the two simcoe additions, it still might be a bit more in the forefront of the flavor that you are expecting. If you are going for a good hop character, it might be perfect, but it you want to taste the malt, I'd still go a bit less.

I use Simcoe in my Stout Recipe as the bittering and flavoring hops(aroma is Ahtanum) and it is great-very clean and nice bite. I have heard of it used at all stages of the boil. For a big red/brown I think it would be great. The Ringwood-I have not experience with.

Curious-Why these hops? Do you just have these hops and want to use them? I'm currently looking over my lot of random hops and trying to formulate beers to brew with them before they get too old.

Back