Pumpkin Seed Porter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pwndabear

Reaction score
Pumpkin Seed Porter

Recipe Type: Extract w/ specialty
Yeast: WYeast 1338 British Ale II
Yeast Starter: Not necessary
Batch Size: 5gal
Original Gravity:
Final Gravity:
IBU:
Boiling Time: 60 mins
Color: Dark
Primary Fermentation: 7 days, 68oF
Secondary Fermentation: 14 days, 68oF

Ingredients:
6.6 lb Amber LME
12 oz (0.75 lb) Chocolate Malt
8 oz (0.5 lb) CaraAmber
4 oz (0.25 lb) Crystal 40L

1 oz Northern Brewer (60 mins)
0.5 oz Cascade (60 mins)
0.5 oz Bullion (30 mins)
1 tsp Irish Moss (15 mins)

4 cups Raw Pumpkin Seeds
1 tsp Cinnamon
¼ cup Brown Sugar
Olive Oil Cooking Spray

-Cover cookie sheet with tinfoil and spray with olive oil. Spread out pumpkin seeds on sheet and lightly spray seeds. Sprinkle cinnamon and brown sugar on top of seeds. Bake at 350 for roughly 15 min, turn seeds. Continue to bake at 350 for roughly 10-15 min more or until seeds are starting to brown or lightly burn. Gently crack seeds and place in muslin bag with specialty grains

-Bring 2 gal to 170 oF, steep specialty grains and pumpkin seeds for 30 min, discard (or make some doggie treats with the spent grains)
-Stir in both cans LME, 1oz Northern Brewer hops, and 0.5 oz Cascade hops and bring to boil for 30 mins
-Add 0.5 oz Bullion hops and continue boil for 15 mins
-Add Irish Moss and continue boil for 15 min
-Remove from heat, place 3.5 gal cold water into primary fermenter, then hot wort
-Cool to 65-75 oF then add yeast.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

6 cups Raw Pumpkin Seeds
1 tsp Cinnamon
¼ cup Brown Sugar
Olive Oil Cooking Spray

-Cover cookie sheet with tinfoil and spray with olive oil. Spread out pumpkin seeds on sheet and lightly spray seeds. Sprinkle cinnamon and brown sugar on top of seeds. Bake at 350 for roughly 15 min, turn seeds. Continue to bake at 350 for roughly 10-15 min more or until seeds are starting to brown or lightly burn. DO NOT CRACK SEEDS THIS TIME
-Let seeds cool slightly, place in secondary fermenter
-Rack beer onto seeds
-After time in secondary, filter through hop bag to bottling bucket to bottle

Should have a very heavy mouthfeel and taste with notes of Pumpkin Seeds (go figure).
Feedback is always a good thing; let me know if you have any suggestions as this is the first recipe I have come up with on my own.

i'll post the beersmith tomorrow. i just bottled this the other day actually. sat in primary for 2 weeks, secondary for 3. when i tried it at bottle time, it was REALLYsweet but im sure that will mellow out....

please do post that recipe and also if you can in maybe say 2-4 weeks put up the comments on how it tastes. can you put it in this thread so i can see it? thanks a lot

THIS IS THE ACTUAL RECIPE I USED as opposed to the one i posted oh so long ago. If it comes out good, it will go into the recipe database (and i will go "YES" *fistpump*)
At the boil, I baked the seeds with brown sugar but it made a complete trainwreck of a mess so the second time around, at the secondary, i didnt use any brown sugar.

Pumpkin Seed Porter

Recipe Type: Extract w/ specialty
Yeast: WYeast 1084 Irish Ale
Yeast Starter: Not necessary
Batch Size: 5gal
Original Gravity: 1.052
Final Gravity: 1.013
IBU: 45.0
Boiling Time: 60 mins
Color: 26.4
Primary Fermentation: 14 days, 68oF
Secondary Fermentation: 14 days, 68oF

Ingredients:
3.3 lb Pale LME
3.3 lb Amber LME (this is because iw as stupid and didnt look at what i was picking off the shlef)
1 lb Crystal 60L
0.75 lb CaraAmber
0.50 lb Chocolate Malt

1 oz Northern Brewer (60 mins) 30.2 IBU
0.5 oz Cascade (60 mins) 9.8 IBU
0.5 oz Bullion (30 mins) 5.0 IBU
1 tsp Irish Moss (15 mins)

4 cups Raw Pumpkin Seeds
1 tsp Cinnamon
¼ cup Brown Sugar

-Cover cookie sheet with tinfoil. Spread out pumpkin seeds on sheet. Sprinkle cinnamon and brown sugar on top. Bake at 350 for roughly 15 min, turn seeds. Continue to bake at 350 for roughly 10-15 min more or until seeds are starting to brown or lightly burn. Gently crack seeds and place in muslin bag with specialty grains

-Bring 2 gal to 170 oF, steep specialty grains and pumpkin seeds for 30 min, discard (or make some doggie treats with the spent grains)
-Stir in both cans LME, 1oz Northern Brewer hops, and 0.5 oz Cascade hops and bring to boil for 30 mins
-Add 0.5 oz Bullion hops and continue boil for 15 mins
-Add Irish Moss and continue boil for 15 min
-Remove from heat, place 3.5 gal cold water into primary fermenter, then hot wort
-Cool to 65-75 oF then add yeast.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

6 cups Raw Pumpkin Seeds
1 tsp Cinnamon
¼ cup Brown Sugar

-Cover cookie sheet with tinfoil. Spread out pumpkin seeds on sheet. Sprinkle cinnamon and brown sugar on top of seeds. Bake at 350 for roughly 15 min, turn seeds. Continue to bake at 350 for roughly 10-15 min more or until seeds are starting to brown or lightly burn.
-Let seeds cool slightly, crack seeds, place in secondary fermenter
-Rack beer onto seeds

Back