Old Ale w/ 9097

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

greghatt

Reaction score
Hey guys,

Got kind of excited this weekend when I did a sample tasting of the old ale I did up with the 9097 yeast. I did a primary for about 3 weeks, then transfered to a keg and added about 3/4cup of molasses to condition. After 3months of keg conditioning, the brett culture is really starting to show. I think the surgar in the molasses really let it take off (of course) I'm getting a real intense cherry pie flavor as advertised.
I wish this yeast was available year round. There would defineately be an abundance of old ale at the house. Luckily my buddy got one also, so I think a bigger batch is in order next time.
Cheers
PS Here's the recipie:

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Batch Size: 5.00 gal
Boil Size: 5.72 gal
Estimated OG: 1.080 SG
Estimated Color: 21.2 SRM
Estimated IBU: 37.5 IBU
Brewhouse Efficiency: 78.00 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amount Item Type % or IBU
5.70 kg Pale Malt, Maris Otter (3.0 SRM) Grain 92.68 %
0.20 kg Caramel/Crystal Malt -120L (120.0 SRM) Grain 3.25 %
0.15 kg Chocolate Malt (450.0 SRM) Grain 2.44 %
0.10 kg Wheat, Flaked (1.6 SRM) Grain 1.63 %
56.00 gm Fuggles [4.50 %] (60 min) Hops 25.7 IBU
28.30 gm Fuggles [4.50 %] (30 min) Hops 10.0 IBU
20.00 gm Fuggles [4.50 %] (5 min) Hops 1.8 IBU

Mash Schedule: Single Infusion, Full Body, Batch Sparge
Total Grain Weight: 6.15 kg
----------------------------
Single Infusion, Full Body, Batch Sparge
Step Time Name Description Step Temp
45 min Mash In Add 16.04 L of water at 170.5 F 158.0 F

Looks good! There is a group of us that did an 11-11-11 old ale brew with 9097 not too long ago. Haven't bottled yet, but from my many samples it seems to be turning out nice.

Also, looks like your in Trailer Park Boys territory. Love the show and I've spent a lot of time over the years in Nova Scotia. Beautiful place!

I have a second pack I ordered by accident in my fridge. I need to figure out something to brew with that. I'm feeling a stout or something along those lines with the yeast. Hell I might just do a second stab at the 11-11-11.

You should try yeast washing if you don't already. I started doing it about a year ago based on directions in one of the stickys and it rocks. I'm getting 4 or 5 batches out of a single pack of yeast. If it sits around too long just toss it. Your not out anything but a couple quarts of water.

I already do yeast washing on my lower gravity brews. Well I tend to top crop with a sanitized jar instead of yeast washing. The last few brews I've done are all higher gravity so I never even bothered to wash. I could have top cropped but never got around to doing it when the beers were at high krausen.

Yah, I've never tried washing. Definitely something i'm going to try sooner rather than later. But the old ale will be a while. It's in the keg right now, and I'm trying to save it until at least the fall.
Do you think the yeast will still be good by then?

I never washed after a high gravity brew either. I'm wondering though if you washed a yeast that specializes in high grav beers would it do OK?

Good call. I might just leave this one, and do a big starter from my buddy's pack, and try to culture some and store it in the freezer for a later time.

Back