Sparging ruining OG

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

maxcar13

Reaction score
I've done about 5 all grain batches now and I've tried batch sparging as well as fly sparging. I end up hitting my OG on my first runnings but then after sparging my OG drops significantly. Any advice?

Sounds like you're getting poor efficiency if your first runnings are only at the expected gravity for the whole boil volume. Either that or your calcuations are off. You are not expecting your gravity pre boil to be your recipe's OG, right? In other words you are taking into account the boil off.

Need more details - gravities, volumes, mash thickness, temps, process.

Look at this chart. Your first running, i.e. the wort in your MLT prior to ANY sparging should be close to these values:

first_wort_gravity-57692.gif

For instance, using 1.5 qts per pound, maximum extraction would be about 1.082. You should be about to get about 95% of that (1.078). If you are not getting that, then you have conversion problems (temp, grain crush, pH, etc.)

Latest posts

Back