Critique Honey Porter recipe?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mattmcl

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
This is a mix of a few different recipes I found, geared towards using stuff I already have- Magnum hops, the yeast, and the honey. I'm shooting for a high ABV Porter. Advice on when to add the honey is appreciated- I've read to boil it, add it during the last 10 minutes, or add into secondary. Thanks!

Type: All Grain
Date: 2/1/2009
Batch Size: 5.00 gal
Brewer: Matt
Boil Size: 7.51 gal Asst Brewer:
Boil Time: 60 min Equipment: Brew Pot (10 Gallon) & Cooler
Taste Rating(out of 50): 35.0 Brewhouse Efficiency: 75.00
Taste Notes:

Ingredients

Amount Item Type % or IBU
8.00 lb Pilsner (2 Row) UK (1.0 SRM) Grain 51.61 %
3.50 lb Munich Malt (9.0 SRM) Grain 22.58 %
1.00 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - 60L (60.0 SRM) Grain 6.45 %
0.50 lb Chocolate Malt (350.0 SRM) Grain 3.23 %
0.50 lb Special B Malt (180.0 SRM) Grain 3.23 %
0.68 oz Magnum [16.70 %] (60 min) Hops 38.1 IBU
0.91 oz Cascade [5.40 %] (15 min) Hops 8.2 IBU
2.00 lb Honey (1.0 SRM) Sugar 12.90 %
1 Pkgs European Ale (White Labs #WLP011) Yeast-Ale

Beer Profile

Est Original Gravity: 1.086 SG
Measured Original Gravity: 1.010 SG
Est Final Gravity: 1.026 SG Measured Final Gravity: 1.005 SG
Estimated Alcohol by Vol: 7.77 % Actual Alcohol by Vol: 0.65 %
Bitterness: 46.3 IBU Calories: 43 cal/pint
Est Color: 28.4 SRM Color: Color

Mash Profile

Mash Name: Single Infusion, Medium Body, Batch Sparge Total Grain Weight: 13.50 lb
Sparge Water: 4.91 gal Grain Temperature: 72.0 F
Sparge Temperature: 168.0 F TunTemperature: 72.0 F
Adjust Temp for Equipment: FALSE Mash PH: 5.4 PH

Single Infusion, Medium Body, Batch Sparge Step Time Name Description Step Temp
60 min Mash In Add 16.88 qt of water at 165.9 F 154.0 F

Mash Notes: Simple single infusion mash for use with most modern well modified grains (about 95% of the time).
Carbonation and Storage

Carbonation Type: Dried Malt Extract Volumes of CO2: 2.1
Pressure/Weight: 4.2 oz Carbonation Used: -
Keg/Bottling Temperature: 60.0 F Age for: 28.0 days
Storage Temperature: 65.0 F

Looks pretty good ,man! The honey can be placed in the wort at different times based on what flavor you want. Early on, say for 60mins. its just gonna add to your gravity. Later on; say 20-30 mins. you'll achieve some light delicate honey notes left over in your beer. I donot suggest not boiling it as honey has lots of debris and particles that can infect. Boil it!!! On a personal note, with all the specialty malts you have in this beer, the delicate flavor of the honey will be lost... I suggest a cheaper and just as effective method of just adding sucrose or corn sugar to boost gravity. The fears of using sugars as adjuncts are simply unfounded. If the first lesson is to use sugar, the second is to use enough!

Well, I've already got the honey, and it won't get used for anything but beer. I was thinking adding it late in the boil was the way to go. Thanks.

If you want any character from the honey, do not boil it. RRBBGG27013 is giving you bad advice in that regard.

I would add it at flameout, just to dissolve.

Jason

Just wanted to add one more point. With a strong flavored beer like a porter, you will get almost no flavor contribution from honey. It adds more fermentables than anything. You could equate it to adding high class sugar.

There is nothing wrong with adding honey, just dont expect any flavor.

Back