Defoamer drops

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KayaBrew

Reaction score
I've always added defoamer to my wort to prevent boil-overs, and I love the results. Now, for the first time, I'm doing a primary ferment in a 6 gallon Better Bottle due to the fact that all 4 of my buckets have beer in them(!). So for the first time in over a hundred gallons brewed, I get to see primary fermentation! I pitched 2 packets of S-04 into a 1.067 OG AG Oatmeal Stout. Fermentation began in 6 hours, and it's going like gangbusters, but I have no krausen! Is that because of the defoamer I used in the boil?

I just used the defoamer drops for the first time and it takes away the (I wonder if I need a blowoff) fun. I did not really notice a difference in the hot break when boiling it though. It seemed to rise like hell as if I did not use them. But I did notice the krausen did not get very high in my oatmeal stout, which was kinda nice!

I just used the defoamer drops for the first time and it takes away the (I wonder if I need a blowoff) fun. I did not really notice a difference in the hot break when boiling it though. It seemed to rise like hell as if I did not use them. But I did notice the krausen did not get very high in my oatmeal stout, which was kinda nice!

Yes you do need a blow off. I didn't think i needed one either. 10 drops of fermcap S. https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f39/ka-boom-140147/

Even when using them in the boil to prevent boil overs, I sometimes have to add them to the primary if the krausen climbs too high.

Edit: Just read your thread, ks_medic. I guess you never know. Go for the blow-off tube...better safe than sorry.

I only use em in the boil, and sometimes they work great, sometimes not so great.

My burner is too much for my kettle. I really need a keggle for it. Someday.

I only use em in the boil, and sometimes they work great, sometimes not so great.

My burner is too much for my kettle. I really need a keggle for it. Someday.
I've only had problems if I add them while the water is still heating up. If I put the drops in right as the boil is starting to roll, then they work great.

Back