Lager vs ale..

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dethmutt

Reaction score
Still new to brewing, but have seen some kits that say the lager yeast works at ale temps.. Specifically a Munich helles. I have the chiller to lager it, but if its not needed it can house a batch coming off conditioning soon.. Should I lager it or just ferment as an ale?

dethmutt said:
Still new to brewing, but have seen some kits that say the lager yeast works at ale temps.. Specifically a Munich helles. I have the chiller to lager it, but if its not needed it can house a batch coming off conditioning soon.. Should I lager it or just ferment as an ale?

A good Helles must be fermented cool then lagered, usually for a few weeks. You can do a diacetyl rest at 60F after a week of fermenting if you want.

Lager yeast strains will definitely ferment at ale temperatures- but that's not usually the way to make the best tasting lager.

If you want to make a pseudo-lager, you could use a very "clean" ale yeast, like pacman (if you can find it) or nottingham, and ferment at about 60 degrees. That will give a more "lager like" finish to the beer, rather than using a lager yeast at ale temperatures.

If you can ferment at 65 or so, you could use White Labs 001, and that will give you a similar result.

Using a lager yeast at ale temperatures can work, but only with certain strains for good results and it's not usually going to give a lager like finish.

Many lager yeasts work well at higher temps, but the resulting beer has more of the characteristics of an ale. There will be more esters giving what, in a lager, would usually classify as "off flavors."

If you want to make a pseudo-lager, you could use a very "clean" ale yeast, like pacman (if you can find it) or nottingham, and ferment at about 60 degrees. That will give a more "lager like" finish to the beer, rather than using a lager yeast at ale temperatures.
kolsch yeast is another option. it's meant to be fermented mid 50's to very low 60's. you then need to lager it for a few weeks to get the yeast to drop out (or use finings).

Using a lager yeast at ale temperatures can work,
this is steam beer: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steam_beer

Ok so it's time to piss off the wife and load the fridge with the conditioned batch while the Munich helles lagers in the chiller.. Gotcha!! :)

Heck, as far as that goes, any yeast will be happy to ferment like nobody's business at 90F, the flavor of the beer is what is at stake.

Or WL029 kolsh yeast. It's a ale/lager hybrid that they say gives a clean,lager like flavor between 65-69F. I'm trying it on one light colored batch & one black. Useing malts that typically are used to make lagers as well as hops can also aid in the illusion.

Back