Wine Kit Error (Forgot to add second bag of Keiselsol)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Koots

Reaction score
I am currently making the Orchard Breezin Kiwi Pomelo Sauvignon Blanc kit. I did the stabilizing and clearing step around day 14, as per the instructions, however I was a fool and forgot to add the second bag of Kieselsol (I added everything else without a problem and in the correct order. This Kieselsol was the last thing that was supposed to be added to the wine). It has since sat for 3 weeks (it was a terrible idea for me to start the wine when I did - several major assignments were due around the 28th day- when it is supposed to be bottled).

So, what should I do - do I add the second bag of Kieselsol or leave it. If I add it do I need to rack it again and let it sit for a week or two? Or have I screwed it all to hell?

My understanding is that it is just for clearing. The heading that this step was under was "stabilizing and clearing" the other ingredients I added in this stage were sulphite, potassium sorbate, the finishing blend, kieselsol package one, and chitosan (in this order). I missed the last kieselsol added after these ingredients.

I am currently making the Orchard Breezin Kiwi Pomelo Sauvignon Blanc kit. I did the stabilizing and clearing step around day 14, as per the instructions, however I was a fool and forgot to add the second bag of Kieselsol (I added everything else without a problem and in the correct order. This Kieselsol was the last thing that was supposed to be added to the wine). It has since sat for 3 weeks (it was a terrible idea for me to start the wine when I did - several major assignments were due around the 28th day- when it is supposed to be bottled).

So, what should I do - do I add the second bag of Kieselsol or leave it. If I add it do I need to rack it again and let it sit for a week or two? Or have I screwed it all to hell?

You are fine as long as you added the kiesesol and then chitosan. I've never seen a kit call for a second addition of kiesesol... was there really two packages in the kit... with instructions to add it at two different times?

Yes, there were definitely two packages. Not all the kits contain it, but this one did-and there were specific instructions included.

If the wine is clear, you don't need to add it. If the wine is still hazy, it can be added.

I don't use any of the finings that come in wine kits, and the wine is still nice and clear! (I don't want non-vegetarian products in my wines).

Latest posts

Back