Campden Tablets before bottling

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

samc

Reaction score
So the directions state "If ageing past 6 months we suggest adding an extra 1/4 teaspoon of sulphite to the Primary Fermenter to prevent premature oxidation of the wine"

Any idea how many Campden tablets does that equal?

I've read various differing amounts for Campden. My supplier said - 1 tablet per gallon equals approx. 30 ppm free SO2. The WineMaker mag wizard says "If you've got a standard 0.44 gram Campden tablet and you're putting it in one gallon of wine, you're blasting it with 66 mg/L sulfur dioxide, which is quite a lot if you've already been adding a tablet each time you rack"

Confused in Portland!

Help - anyone? Make something up, join the crowd!

Apparently to confuse me even further - Campden comes in Sodium or Potassium and at different concentrations of producing free SO2.

EC Kraus website says Campden tablets equal 1/16th teaspoon of Sodium Metabisulfite. Spagnols says 1/8th teaspoon. FH Steinbart say's don't add Sodium Meta directly to your wine!

One campden tablet, crushed and dissolved, per gallon of wine is fine! You didn't add sulfites when you racked that kit, that's why it recommends adding some at bottling. You won't oversulfite if you go with the one per gallon.

I'd NOT use the sodium metabisulfite, since it adds sodium to the wine. Some of the campden tablets are are sodium meta, and some are k meta, so check the label. K meta (potassium metabisulfite) is what I use.

Back