Cult movies

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scooby_Brew

Reaction score
Are there any other nerds besides me in here interested in cult film?

Here are some of my favorites:
Nosferatu (1922) - The first Dracula movie and the first horror film ever. It was titled "Nosferatu" and not "Dracula" because essentially they stole the story from the Bram Stoker's book without his permission. The actor's name who played the Count was Max Schreck, and it was in his honor they called the recent Disney creation "Shrek".

Other Dracula and Nosferatu movies followed, like Drakula (1931) with Bela Lugosi, Nosferatu the Vampyre (~1975?) with Klaus Kinski, made by Werner Herzog, and so on.

Shadow of the Vampire - it's a movie with John Malkovich and Willem Dafoe. In this movie Willem Dafoe plays Max Schreck, the actor from the original Nosferatu, only unbeknownst to the others, he is a REAL vampire, and he starts eating away the rest of the actors from the set :)

Last edited by a moderator:
got to love that scene where Max Shreck grabs the bat out of the air and eats it in front of the other guys without missing a beat.

Plan 9 From Outerspace

Eraserhead- Has to be the strangest, most trippy things I've ever scene (and believe me....I've seen alot)

Brazil- Absolutely BRILLIANT! Terry Gilliam is an amazing visionary. The subtalties in this film (it's a film, not a movie) never cease to astound me.

I can keep going, but that's enough for now.

Eraserhead (I hate it)
Blue Velvet
M
Jacob's Ladder
The Seventh Seal
Fantastic Planet

Of the ones already mentioned, I love Metropolis and Brazil. Totally two of my favorite movies. Eraserhead is awesome, too. I showed it to SWMBO and it started giving her nightmares.

I also really like Dark City, but my absolute FAVORITE cult movie without a doubt is Dead Alive. Peter Jackson before all those things like hobbits and elves... and production values...

Metropolis

I always wondered when are they going to do a remake of the Metropolis. When you think about it, it could be a profitable Hollywood movie. It has drama, a love story and every thing that Hollywood likes.

I like From Dusk Till Dawn, it's sooo Tarantino :

I am an editor , first and foremost.

start a movie thread and I shall take it over. :)

cult films? how about obscure cult films, like Black Santa's Revenge.

Dark City... awesome. Needed More Gary Numan in the film soundtrack, not just the trailer.

The Keep!

B movie with an A list cast and A list soundtrack.

Micheal Mann at his best? Maybe.

Does Heavy Metal count? Just watched that a few weeks ago and it was AWESOME! The South Park homage was pretty hilarious as well.

Donnie Darko is pretty awesome as well, I love that every time I watch it I have a different feeling about it, and many different theories about it and such.

sometimes you need to open your window and shout out: "DAMMIT, THESE FLOORS ARE DIRTY, AND NOT GONNA TAKE IT ANY MORE!" ~ Stanley Spadowski

Uhf!!!!!!!!
AWESOME! I actually just saw it on the big screen (seen it before) at our local cinima that does cult movies. It was great to see it in that formate again.

Idiocracy. Actually scared the crap out of me! If you haven't seen it, see it... :)
I HATED Idiocracy. It was painful to watch and stupid. But it's true that's where the world's headed and I completely see the movie for what it is....but it's still abad movie. I fast fowarded through most of it.

I'll second The Keep. I've never really thought of the Big Lebowski as a cult film, but if it qualifies then so does the Hudsucker Proxy. I also love Surf II, Rad, and most Hal Hartley films (Trust, Amateur, Henry Fool, etc).

I just finished watching another cult classic: Army of Darkness!

"Alright you Primitive Screwheads, listen up! You see this? This... is my BOOMSTICK!"

next up....MST3K episodes!

I loved Evil dead, I and II, I actually prefer II, but I absolutely love the one liners in Army of darkness.

Bruce Campbell is the man. I also loved Bubba Hotep. I'm a sucker for that guy.

Has anybody said, Humanoids from the deep. Lots of monsters and naked girls..

How about "bloodsucking freaks"..An oldie but a goody...

The evil dead movies for sure. After that, I've got to say that I loved "The Cube". The sequel was awesome as well: The Cube 2: "Hypercube". Has anyone else seen "The Cube" movies? I loved them but can't find anyone else who has seen them or even remotely wants to....

After that, my favorite "odd" movie of all time is by far "Being John Malkovich". Everything about the movie is just astoundingly strange. Enter John Malkovich's mind for 5 minutes then get spit out on the side of the New Jersey turn pike? Genius!

Fear. The confrontation with the nihilists in the parking lot.

Props for being the only one to even guess :rolleyes:

But incorrect. Lots of people think that, though. It's actually because he didn't bowl a strike in the scene before that. Watch carefully. Whenever Donny rolls, he bowls a strike. Right before the nihilist confrontation he bowls but doesn't bowl a strike, the sound is muted slightly then returns to normal as the camera focuses on Donny's confused face. He sits down and rubs his arm because it hurts.

This is a sign that he's about to have a heart attack (pain in the arm). This shows you how much bowling means to the group, that not bowling your usual potential causes a heart attack. God I love that movie!

Back