Hop Combinations...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mhenry41h

Reaction score
Im looking at combining 3 fairly uncommon hops together in an American-Style IPA. Hre are the three Im looking at and I was wondering what, if any, experience you guys and gals may have had with them"

BRAMLING CROSS 5-8% All Purpose
Variety Bramling crossed with a male seedling from a Manitoba female. Blackcurrant, lemony aroma.
Used For: Can be good for spiced ales
Substitutes: Bullion, Northern Brewer and Galena

PACIFIC GEM (NZ) 15-17% Bittering
A pleasing fruity aroma of blackberries with a woodsy flavor are the essence of this variety used mainly as a bittering agent in organic beers.
Used For: Organic Pale Ales, IPAs

FRENCH STRISSELSPALT (FR) 2.5% AROMA Origin: The Alsace region of France;Aroma: Medium intensity, pleasant, hoppy;Alpha Acid: Between 3 to 5%;Typical Usage: Aroma

It seems to me a simple pale malt base with a touch of golden naked oats, and a touch of crystal with these 3 hops. Im thinking if one could harness the berry-type qualities of these 3 hops and the golden naked oats, one could create a really unique IPA...

Why not? Clone a recipe from elsewhere for ideas. People on here seem to like absolute hop bombs so id like to see how this goes :)

The same thought occurred to me. Not that you can't make a great IPA with any or all of those varieties.

If it were me, I'd brew an English IPA with a whole ton of Bramlings - FWH and flameout and dry-hopped. Yum.

Bob

aardii said:
Wouldn't you want to use american hops in an APA?

I don't disagree but I'm envisioning something on the lighter end of the BJCP guidelines for IPA as I love big hops. I guess I need to clarify that I don't want retardedly high hops, but something more assertive than APA. I'm working on two others of which one uses Amarillo, Apollo, and Sorachi ace and the other uses Admiral, First Gold, Pacifica.

After re-reading your reply, I now believe you are asking why I'm not using American hops. First, I'm not making an APA. Second, all 3 of those hop varieties are said to have a berry flavor and aroma. Thus, I don't believe this idea to apply to any one real style. The closest would be IPA due to the ABV and IBU levels I have in mind. Also, Golden Naked Oats really aren't that common in an APA or an IPA but give a slightly nutty and slight berry flavor along with some added mouthfeel and head retention. The goal would be a non-assertive yet more assertive hop character than a traditional APA.

[email protected]

Back