Immersion chiller / type of copper

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CCericola

Reaction score
I've reached the point where an immersion chiller is a necessity, and I'm in the debate mode of buy versus build. Right now, build seems to be my answer for two reason - value and customization.

However, in all my searching for the tubing, I find a lot of different types and I wanted to verify before I actually bite the bullet (and possibly ruin an awesome batch of brew because of a bad decision) that I'm looking for the "right stuff".

What I'm looking at is this:

http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc...=10053&langId=-1&keyword=256897&storeId=10051

On a slightly different tangent, I figured with the rising cost of copper an alternative would have been found / discussed / analyzed. Is copper still the best and safest value for chilling?

if you cant afford stainless steel, copper is your only other option. theres nothing cheaper that will work as a practical immersion chiller.

there are alternatives to an immersion chiller, such as a plate chiller or counter flow chiller, but those are not usually any cheaper.

and yes, that link is what you want.

Yes, that's the right stuff. Just clean it with some soap and water, then rinse with more water before you put it in your wort. That's about it.

One thing to check. That's listed as 3/8" tubing, but it doesn't say if it's 3/8" ID or OD. 3/8" ID is bigger tubing, and works better.

Yes, that's the right stuff. Just clean it with some soap and water, then rinse with more water before you put it in your wort. That's about it.

One thing to check. That's listed as 3/8" tubing, but it doesn't say if it's 3/8" ID or OD. 3/8" ID is bigger tubing, and works better.

It doesn't state it specifically, but it does say that it's refrigerant tubing which means that the size measurement is always in OD. I would recommend getting the 1/2" OD refrigerant tubing which will give you an ID of 3/8".

Also, a good way to clean up the new copper after you form it into a coil is to boil it for a few minutes in a water/white vinegar solution.

Latest posts

Back