How much will my keggerator cost to run?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

billc68

Reaction score
I am new to this and have few resources in my isolated part of Atlantic Canada.
I just bought a Williams Brewing Portable Thermostat (Johnston controls Part No. A19AAT-1C) I am now searching for the appropriate sized chest freezer.

Will this be expensive to run? I know refrigerators are one of the worst appliances for energy use, however I read about a thermostat in Australia that works very much like these units and will increase your energy efficiency by 10 times!!!

What are you experiences with these units?

This is the unit that shuts off your freezer when it reaches the appropriate temp, plug it in to the wall and plug your freezer to it.

Thanks!

My keggerator is based on a 5 cu ft chest freezer. Keeping it at 2C, it runs about an hour a day. Probably costs less than $5/month.

My keggerator is based on a 5 cu ft chest freezer. Keeping it at 2C, it runs about an hour a day. Probably costs less than $5/month.

What type of thermostat did you go with?

The Australian model I read about supposedly runs for about $5 per year!!! but $5 per month, even $10 is very doable.

I'm using a Ranco. I really don't believe claims like that Australian manufacturer makes, power usage is directly related to the temperature differences and a controller will not change that. Using a power factor compensating controller will knock 10-20% off the usage, but not 90%.

I've got a 5 cu ft freezer running at 38F in my basement (averaging mid 60s Fahrenheit over the last few months). I'm using a Johnson Controls A419 for temp control. Its been plugged into a Kill-A-Watt meter for the last 2-1/2 months. At about 10 cents per KWh this is running at $0.54 per month.
This has not been converted to a keezer with taps yet so its been opened more than I will after that is done.

I've got a 5 cu ft freezer running at 38F in my basement (averaging mid 60s Fahrenheit over the last few months). I'm using a Johnson Controls A419 for temp control. Its been plugged into a Kill-A-Watt meter for the last 2-1/2 months. At about 10 cents per KWh this is running at $0.54 per month.
This has not been converted to a keezer with taps yet so its been opened more than I will after that is done.

NICE!!!

Why can't we make refrigerators this efficient? Maybe because we open them 10-20 times per day.

Back