HOP Blast, first time

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tiroux

Reaction score
I succeed to grab some Citra (4oz) wich is a rare thing around here. I also got a lot of Cascade and some Galena. If I'm lucky, I will get some Amarillo also.

So... time has come to my first serious big IPA.

Tell me what you think.

6 gallons batch

11lb 2 row
1lb Munich
0.5lb Vienna
1lb Caramel 60L
1lb Dextrose sugar

FWH + 60 minutes boil
2oz 15.6% Galena
1oz 14.2% Columbus

Boil
1.25oz Cascade 10 minutes
1.25oz Cascade 5 minutes
1oz Citra 5 minutes
1oz Citra 2 minutes
1oz Cascade flame out
1oz Amarillo flame out

DH
Half batch 1
1oz Amarillo 10days
1oz Amarillo 5 days

Half batch 2
1oz Citra 10 days
1oz Citra 5 days

OG 1068
est FG 1010
IBUs 204
ABV 7.6%

Looks pretty good to me. I might drop the Columbus or move it to the end of the boil, 204 IBU's seems like a little bit of overkill to me, but that's just my opinion.

Add another pound or two of 2-row. Swap C60 with C40 or lower if you can. Mash around 151-152 F.

90 or 60 min
1 to 1.5 oz Galena

30 to 20 min
1 oz Columbus
0.5 oz Galena (optional)

Late boil
1 oz Columbus at 15 min
2 oz Cascade 10 min
3 oz your choice of Citra, Cascade, Amarillo flameout

DH
Half batch 1, two stage dryhop
1 oz Amarillo
1 oz Cascade
2 oz Citra

Half batch 2, two stage dryhop
2 oz Amarillo
1 oz Cascade
1 oz Citra

Are you guys afraid of IBUs? :D

Add another pound or two of 2-row. Swap C60 with C40 or lower if you can. Mash around 151-152 F.

90 or 60 min
1 to 1.5 oz Galena

30 to 20 min
1 oz Columbus
0.5 oz Galena (optional)

Late boil
1 oz Columbus at 15 min
2 oz Cascade 10 min
3 oz your choice of Citra, Cascade, Amarillo flameout

DH
Half batch 1, two stage dryhop
1 oz Amarillo
1 oz Cascade
2 oz Citra

Half batch 2, two stage dryhop
2 oz Amarillo
1 oz Cascade
1 oz Citra

Can you give explanation or something? It sounds like you tell me what to do, changing my beer.

So... time has come to my first serious big IPA. Tell me what you think.

Can you give explanation or something? It sounds like you tell me what to do, changing my beer.

Can you tell us what you're seeking with this particular brew? It sounds like you are just asking for a basic critique, i.e. what we would do differently if those were our ingredients.

Way too much IBU contribution early on and IMO too much bitterness for that gravity. 200 IBUs for 1010 FG is serious bitterness and will take away from the delicious hop flavor. You are better off getting some of your IBUs from 15-5 minutes.

I would personally use columbus for bittering and nothing else, as it will take over and it seems like you want to experience the citra/ammarillo. For 6 gallons a 3-5 ounce dry hop is appropriate and if you want to do a two stage dry hop, go for it.

I dont mind c 60 in an IPA...but I know many that do, the c 40 may be a safer bet. I might drop the vienna, and just stick with the munich but in general its a fine looking grist.

Brew on.

Back