Cider yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Lalvin EC-1118 plus Yeast nutrient, follow the instructions on amount of nutrient per gallon. Why do you need a fast ferment?

Go back to the main page pf the cider forum, and look up above where your thread is to the thing labeled "sticky" you'll find all sorts of info on the different yeasts...It is a great thread.

Why do you need a fast ferment?

Well the truth is ....I'm just impatient. I have 4 gallons of hard cider going right now using Cote de banc ( I think i spelled it right) and I know it is a slow fermenter. Just wanted to try a small batch (1 gallon) with some fast fermenting yest.

I've made cider with various yeasts, and I would say champagne yeast for a fast and effective ferment.

Well the yeast I suggested is a champagne yeast, and a fast one. But you cant speed up the time it takes to clear or to age. If you cant learn to wait you are in the wrong hobby. Just because it ferments out 95% in 2 days is not going to speed up the last 5%.

Sorry it doesn't work that way.

If you cant learn to wait you are in the wrong hobby.
Sorry it doesn't work that way.
The process of HB is slow and that is something I've learned. I just wanted to see if there was a faster fermenting yeast that I could experiment with in one gallon batches, while the other five gallons are in the primary. Me stating that I was just impatient was more of a joke than a reality.

Thats another version of a turbo yeast. The point is to get as much as fast as you can then do that other process that isn't allowed in the US. It needs to be carbon filtered in order to be at all tasty and it generate a larger amount of fusel oils that come out first in the other process. Trust me it it will not make a good tasting cider. This stuff is fast but not pleasant. Its down right nasty. We use a form of this for fuel production.

Comments from the spec for this stuff.
6. Clearing - Due to the special yeast strain used, the mash will not clear naturally.
To clear the mash, one of two methods is recommended. The most effective
means of clearing is the addition of Super_Kleer KC (See Super-Kleer KC).
The fermented mash may also be cleared using a wine filter.
7. Charcoal Filter - To make homemade liqueurs or liquors, it is recommended to
use charcoal filter pads or activated carbon to remove any remaining unwanted
volatiles, purifying the taste of the finished liquor.

Its not worth it

Is there some place on this forum that gives instructions on how to use/make a charcoal filter for making Liquors?

I"m planning on using that "Liquor Quik" super yeast stuff that yields a 20% base for Liquors that you just add sugar to, but it says to filter it through a charcoal filter after it's fermented to remove any VOC's and impurities, but doesn't tell you how.

There are charcoal filter pads at the local wine making place, but I don't see any filter housings or instructions on how to use them.

Also, what happens if you don't filter it, will it harm you or just taste gross?

Thanks!
Chris ;)

Back