Fermentation temps for secondary

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PintOfBitter

Reaction score
I built a temperature controller for a mini fridge (posted a thread) and have a new red ale happily bubbling away at a steady 65 degrees.

I'm working on techniques to clean up the taste of my brews, and keeping towards the low end of recommended temp is the goal here.

I have big plans for more brews, but don't know if I can use my mini fridge again until this guy is through secondary... Can I safely secondary my beers at higher temps without risking creating another plug-your-nose clove bomb like I recently turned out?

Thanks

If the beer is off the yeast it should not create any more esters. Just make sure you have reached a good terminal gravity before you rack off the sediment. At the same time I wouldn't let my beer become too warm, so just keep it at a cool room temp and you're fine.

Thanks. I'll give it a shot and hope for the best.

Or maybe I'll chill it through secondary so I have a baseline for experimentation.

ambient temp isn't all that high these days in the basement.

room temp was probably averaging around 76 f. nasty stuff. only the second keg i've had to pour into the gutter though :)

Latest posts

Back