Starter into jar, dark layer on top (pic attached)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bacon488

Reaction score
I stepped a slant of Pacman up to a 1L starter on a stir plate, and then once it was finished, I cold crashed it, decanted the starter beer, and then poured the remaining slurry into a sanitized Ball jar. After a few hours of settling, there was a pale layer of yeast on the bottom, and a darker layer of other stuff on top of it. I've seen pictures of yeast in jars after building up a starter or washing, and none of them look like this. I'm more curious than worried... This is still getting pitched into an ESB. (Although someone else's, not mine.) Does anyone know what's going on here?

The most interesting thing is that before it went into the jar, there was just one uniform pale layer at the bottom of the starter flask.

pacman jar.jpg

Yes, I did chill it in the jar. I thought it looked like trub but I'm used to seeing it below the yeast, not on top of it.

You sure the yeast isn't just getting caught up in the glass pattern? Try a few quick twists of the jar between your palms and see if that middle layer frees up and settles out.

I stepped a slant of Pacman up to a 1L starter on a stir plate, and then once it was finished, I cold crashed it, decanted the starter beer, and then poured the remaining slurry into a sanitized Ball jar. After a few hours of settling, there was a pale layer of yeast on the bottom, and a darker layer of other stuff on top of it. I've seen pictures of yeast in jars after building up a starter or washing, and none of them look like this. I'm more curious than worried... This is still getting pitched into an ESB. (Although someone else's, not mine.) Does anyone know what's going on here?

The most interesting thing is that before it went into the jar, there was just one uniform pale layer at the bottom of the starter flask.

I just had a starter do the same thing, did you use it, how did it turn out

Latest posts

Back