Cinnamon Oatmeal Stout

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dhutchings

Reaction score
Hey everyone, trying this brew:

http://beersmithrecipes.com/viewrecipe/688/muddy-pig-oatmeal-stout

I substituted a WYEAST Irish Ale Smack Pack for the yeast listed, and added 3 sticks of cinnamon at the 6 minute point of the boil.

Now...it's already done and I should have likely asked beforehand, but the recipe says to add the flaked oats at the end of the boil. I just dumped 'em in loose. They stayed in during the cooling process (about 20 minutes) and I did not transfer them to the fermenter, leaving them with the trub.

In retrospect that seems odd. Will adding them at the end like I did do anything to the brew or should I have bagged them and added them earlier in the boil?

Did my bottling last night, finally. In comparing numbers, I'd used 6 lbs of LME not the 6lb 9oz that the original recipe called for. I had a 1.052 as an OG, and Brewer's Friend calculated it with the fermantables I had as 1.057 with a calculated FG of 1.015. Given that I had to top up 2 gallons of water, I can live with that.

FG at bottling was 1.012, which puts me at somewhere between 4.99 and 5.91% ABV, depending on which OG and FG I use. Either way that's good by me.

With 3 Cinnamon sticks added near the end of the boil, cinnamon is definitely there in the aroma. There is the taste of cinnamon in the beer but it's really subtle. If I didn't know I'd put it in, I wouldn't have been able to independently detect it in the flavour.

After bottling, there was about a 1/4 glass worth of beer left so that was my tasting sample. Uncarbonated, mine and my wife's opinion was that we enjoyed the taste so much we'd drink it flat. I'll give it about a week and a half to carb and then try a sample bottle and see how it's going.

After some conditioning time, the beer turned out great. Not what I had intended, in that there's little Cinnamon flavour, but so far friends and family who've tried it seem to really like it.

So my next question is, next winter, if I were to want to make a wintery-spiced stout, should I look at adding some more cinnamon, and maybe some cloves and nutmeg? For a 5 gallon batch what quantities should I add and at what point in the boil?

Back