Strangest experience ever! (paranormal?!)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
This is probably gonna make me sound crazy, but if someone else has had a similar experience, I'd really like to hear about it! Here goes...

Last night the wife and I went to bed a little late and fell asleep around 2:00 AM after a rather uneventful Christmas party. Neither of us had more than three drinks the entire night, so we were sober and just plain tired. Less than an hour later we were startled awake by the strangest thing either of us had ever experienced.

I think I was dreaming, but it was a vivid dream that there was a pole or other long blunt object coming across the bed, over my wife, and forcefully pushing me out of bed - very deliberately and mechanically. I felt as if the object were pinning her to the bed and pushing me out. She made a weird noise as if to gasp for breath, and I felt strongly as if I needed to get both of us away from this object and out of bed. I think I was still asleep at this point.

I "came to" completely out of breath, spooning my wife in a sort of fetal position on the floor on her side of the bed. She was yelling, "it's ok, it's ok!" Neither of us felt ok. She said it felt as if I had taken a running leap into bed and tackled her, rolling us both off the edge. We didn't feel alone, either. It was very cold, and the dog was barking at the bedroom door.

When I turned the light on, the covers were completely off the end of the bed, as if someone had lifted them up, pulled them off the foot of the bed, and placed them, flat on the floor - very neatly, and NOT in the direction that we'd have pulled them as we fell out of bed. I had an overwhelming urge to check the entire house and make sure no one was there. So I checked...twice. The alarm had not been tripped, the doors were still locked, nothing was disturbed, and the dog was probably only barking at the commotion in our room.

We put the bed back together, and lay there talking about what had happened. We were still freezing cold, though the temperature of the house was 71 degrees, and the blankets on our bed are quite thick. We both agreed that it felt as if there were a strange presence, and we didn't want to go back to sleep for fear that it may return. Eventually I rationalized that perhaps there was an earthquake, since I'd had a similar "freaked out" feeling when an earthquake woke me up once before. We fell asleep and the rest of the night was uneventful.

After a few phone calls and some Internet research, I found that there was no earthquake last night, and none of our neighbors were disturbed from their sleep by any other strange occurrence.

My wife has a bit of a history with the supernatural - she says it's almost as if she can "feel" previous owners of antiques, and old houses often make her uneasy. I've never dismissed her claims, but this is the first time I've ever been remotely convinced that I've experienced something similar.

Anyone care to validate my uneasy feelings? Ghost stories, here we come!

Sounds a might freaky. Not sure about some of the details, but the pole holding you down thing sounds like it could be attributed to "old hag" (aka Sleep Paralysis). Some people (like myself) experience merely the sensation of being restrained, held down, as if a prisoner in your own skin---wanting to wake up, struggling to wake up, but unable to move and terrified beyond belief. Others report seeing apparitions holding them down (such as the "old hag"), but I can't say I've seen that. I will say that this has happened to me many times and I've grown accustomed to it----I almost look forward to it now because it's such a unique experience. It's still terrifying and mind-bending, but unique nonetheless.

I had a similar experience once--and I SWEAR i was awake and not dreaming during it.

I woke up in the middle of the night, being held down by an arm to the side of my bed. I could only lift my head, couldn't sit up because of the arm holding me down. I didn't know who or what it was. Across the room (by the door to the bedroom) I saw a figure that looked like what you'd imagine Satan looking like. I couldn't see much, but I knew who it was, and could nto sit up. It was pretty freaky.

I was pretty upset--closed my eyes and tried to think it was a dream.

Obviously it was a dream, but dammit that seemed real.

Your experience is pretty hard core though.

Evan! said:
Sounds a might freaky. Not sure about some of the details, but the pole holding you down thing sounds like it could be attributed to "old hag" (aka Sleep Paralysis). Some people (like myself) experience merely the sensation of being restrained, held down, as if a prisoner in your own skin---wanting to wake up, struggling to wake up, but unable to move and terrified beyond belief. Others report seeing apparitions holding them down (such as the "old hag"), but I can't say I've seen that. I will say that this has happened to me many times and I've grown accustomed to it----I almost look forward to it now because it's such a unique experience. It's still terrifying and mind-bending, but unique nonetheless.

Whoa, I was writing my post as you submitted that. I've never heard of that before!

How familiar are you with lucid dreaming? This could be a logical, non-paranormal explanation to this event, or at least certain parts of it.

I would read the wiki on the subject and see if any of the feelings and senses match up.

This may not completely explain the physical portion oh what happened, but I think it could offer some sort of explanation.

EDIT: Evan was quick on the draw with that one, sleep paralysis is a phenomenon associated with lucid dreaming and is part of the explanation I would have come up with.

Dude - yeah, it's weird enough that I was a little apprehensive about posting this at all. But, I figured what better way to learn a little than to share?

Cheese - let's hope not!!!

Evan - Oddly enough, sleep paralysis was among my first thoughts, as well. I'm rather fascinated by sleep "issues," and I've actually experienced sleep paralysis a few times, myself. However, this experience doesn't really match. I felt like my wife was being held down and I was being pushed. I was quite free to move, and I've never woken up from a paralysis state out of breath and anywhere other than in bed.

mr_stimey - I'll have to do some reading on your suggestion. I'd like to learn more about it.

I would be perfectly content to call this a "bad dream" except for one thing: the covers. If we'd woken up on the floor tangled in sheets and blankets, things would make a little more sense. But, it's nearly impossible to throw the covers into the position they were in, and they moved in a direction completely different from ours. That's the eerie, nagging thought in my mind...

When you have a bad dream you sweat. Sweating cools you. Hence waking up and feeling cold.
I think it was just a bad dream.
I've had dreams where I dreamt I woke up and then I did wake up. It felt real and it scared/worried me.

Plus what Evan! said.

I sometime have a dream of being stuck in stream 12 inches deep and not being able to get out of it. I then realise I am dreaming and have to fight to wake up.
I wake up shaking and sweating.

This is the total opposite of the drams I have of being able to fly and don't want to wake up.

Yuri_Rage said:
mr_stimey - I'll have to do some reading on your suggestion. I'd like to learn more about it

Its a very interesting phenomenon if youre intersted in dreaming and sleeping. One of the coolest things is that if you can train yourself to become concious during your sleep state, you can essentially control any and all things in your dream.

I would watch the movie "Waking Life" By Richard Linklater. Its based on lucid dreaming as well.

That is quite bizarre. I too have had a sleep paralysis experience where I swore I felt and saw a presensce in the room. But the physical aspewct of your story is very different sounding.

I realize this will sound pretty outlandish and I do not necessarily buy into this sort of stuff but here goes. The thought that popped into m,y mind was some sort of alien abduction like story. Yeah I know, whatever here we go...

That was what came to mind though. Restaining you, examining her.

Sorry. I don't mean to make light or throw outlandish weirdness in to this. It is weird that you both experienced it together though.

mr_stimey said:
Its a very interesting phenomenon if you're interested in dreaming and sleeping. One of the coolest things is that if you can train yourself to become conscious during your sleep state, you can essentially control any and all things in your dream.
Huh. I wasn't familiar with a name for this particular sleep phenomenon, but I KNOW I've experienced it. I have recurring dreams - deja vu type dreams where I visit familiar places that don't exist in real life. I'm always quite aware that I'm dreaming whenever I'm in these places. It's a surreal experience, but it's never been terrifying. In fact, it's a really amazing and fascinating experience.

knights of Gambrinus said:
I realize this will sound pretty outlandish and I do not necessarily buy into this sort of stuff but here goes. The thought that popped into my mind was some sort of alien abduction like story. Yeah I know, whatever here we go...

That was what came to mind though. Restaining you, examining her.

Sorry. I don't mean to make light or throw outlandish weirdness in to this. It is weird that you both experienced it together though.
Funny, but not really. SWMBO has an irrational fear of aliens, and she mentioned abduction this morning. She was only joking, but it's interesting that you thought of it, too.

Yuri_Rage said:
Funny, but not really. SWMBO has an irrational fear of aliens, and she mentioned abduction this morning. She was only joking, but it's interesting that you thought of it, too.

You DO live in New Mexico....How far are you from Roswell?....;)

mr_stimey said:
You DO live in New Mexico....How far are you from Roswell?
Not far at all... :mug:

4688-roswell.jpg

How old is the house? Any other strange things happen in the past?

Yuri_Rage said:
This is probably gonna make me sound crazy,

Naw, everything's fine. You're just crazy and your wife got freaked out when you tackled her out of her sound sleep. :cross:

I dont get it.

Did your wife say you shoved her off the bed and then followed her down?

I live in a house where the orginal owner and builder of the house killed himself the year after building it ('68) by slitting his throat. Then a year later a family moved in and lived here until the husband died in 2002 then the Son moved in with Mom. Mom died in 2004 and the Son died in 2005. All three are buried literally 10 yards from my backyard fence. Nothing strange yet.

TxBrew said:
I dont get it.

Did your wife say you shoved her off the bed and then followed her down?
Nope. She said it felt like I was struggling with something, then embraced her and went with her to the floor. Neither of us recall the covers ever being removed. We woke up disoriented and frightened.

After reading some of this, I'm tempted to think that I'm just a very vivid dreamer with some of the attributes of being a lucid dreamer.

However, SWMBO is firmly convinced that there is something paranormal about the experience. I should mention that she has recently completed her Master's Degree in psychology and is a licensed counselor. She's been trying to rationalize the experience as well, but she still thinks that there is more to it than simply a dream/sleep-oriented phenomenon.

My family experienced similar odd occurances in the house I grew up in. One night the radio turned on and would not turn off even when unplugged, my Mom felt someone pull on her hair, items in the kitchen were rearranged, that kind of thing. My wife and I also had a weird experience in our first apartment; I had a dream that she was trapped under the bed and I couldn't get up to help her and she had a dream that she was trapped under the bed calling for my help, it was very strange.

I think things like this happen all the time but no one talks about them because we are afraid of sounding crazy.

Yuri_Rage said:
This is probably gonna make me sound crazy, but if someone else has had a similar experience, I'd really like to hear about it! Here goes...

Last night the wife and I went to bed a little late and fell asleep around 2:00 AM after a rather uneventful Christmas party. Neither of us had more than three drinks the entire night, so we were sober and just plain tired. Less than an hour later we were startled awake by the strangest thing either of us had ever experienced.

I think I was dreaming, but it was a vivid dream that there was a pole or other long blunt object coming across the bed, over my wife, and forcefully pushing me out of bed - very deliberately and mechanically. I felt as if the object were pinning her to the bed and pushing me out. She made a weird noise as if to gasp for breath, and I felt strongly as if I needed to get both of us away from this object and out of bed. I think I was still asleep at this point.

I "came to" completely out of breath, spooning my wife in a sort of fetal position on the floor on her side of the bed. She was yelling, "it's ok, it's ok!" Neither of us felt ok. She said it felt as if I had taken a running leap into bed and tackled her, rolling us both off the edge. We didn't feel alone, either. It was very cold, and the dog was barking at the bedroom door.

When I turned the light on, the covers were completely off the end of the bed, as if someone had lifted them up, pulled them off the foot of the bed, and placed them, flat on the floor - very neatly, and NOT in the direction that we'd have pulled them as we fell out of bed. I had an overwhelming urge to check the entire house and make sure no one was there. So I checked...twice. The alarm had not been tripped, the doors were still locked, nothing was disturbed, and the dog was probably only barking at the commotion in our room.

We put the bed back together, and lay there talking about what had happened. We were still freezing cold, though the temperature of the house was 71 degrees, and the blankets on our bed are quite thick. We both agreed that it felt as if there were a strange presence, and we didn't want to go back to sleep for fear that it may return. Eventually I rationalized that perhaps there was an earthquake, since I'd had a similar "freaked out" feeling when an earthquake woke me up once before. We fell asleep and the rest of the night was uneventful.

After a few phone calls and some Internet research, I found that there was no earthquake last night, and none of our neighbors were disturbed from their sleep by any other strange occurrence.

My wife has a bit of a history with the supernatural - she says it's almost as if she can "feel" previous owners of antiques, and old houses often make her uneasy. I've never dismissed her claims, but this is the first time I've ever been remotely convinced that I've experienced something similar.

Anyone care to validate my uneasy feelings? Ghost stories, here we come!

I had a similar experience once. I thought I put hops in my brew at 15 min till flame out. Turns out my son had hidden some buds of a similar plant in my hop bag.

12 hours of laughing and eating **** food...

Just joking of course.

that is a weird and messed up story. I would freak out if that happened to me!

Try recording some EVP's. Whenever I watch a Ghost show that's about the only thing that catches my interest.

TxBrew said:
Try recording some EVP's. Whenever I watch a Ghost show that's about the only thing that catches my interest.
I read about that earlier today and listened to a few that were posted on the 'net. Man, that's some creepy stuff! Perhaps I'll give it a try.

Fingers said:
Naw, everything's fine. You're just crazy and your wife got freaked out when you tackled her out of her sound sleep. :cross:

I'd have to agree, but considering your location to Roswell and your acceptance of alien abduction as a theory, I'd keep tabs on Mr. Brown Eye nevertheless.:D

One time I was really afraid at night. I could feel a presence there in the bedroom with me. I held the covers tight. I felt a chill come over my body. And then, all of a sudden, this unseen apparition peed in my pants.

Dude said:
I had a similar experience once--and I SWEAR i was awake and not dreaming during it.

I woke up in the middle of the night, being held down by an arm to the side of my bed. I could only lift my head, couldn't sit up because of the arm holding me down. I didn't know who or what it was. Across the room (by the door to the bedroom) I saw a figure that looked like what you'd imagine Satan looking like. I couldn't see much, but I knew who it was, and could nto sit up. It was pretty freaky.

I was pretty upset--closed my eyes and tried to think it was a dream.

Obviously it was a dream, but dammit that seemed real.

Your experience is pretty hard core though.

Did this occur the weekend that the_bird slept over?

MikeFlynn74 said:
it does sound crazy- Why werent you drunk?
You have no idea how much I wish I'd imbibed a bit (a lot) more!

Dude...sounds like you need to watch out for ol' Mr. Balloon Knot a little better, too!

Back