Iron Bacteria - need advice/info

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bierandbikes

Reaction score
I have noticed some orange staining in toilets and bathtubs, but thought it was merely iron in my water. Today, I cleaned out the espresso machine and noticed the tell-tale signs of iron bacteria (slimy, gelatanous, orange-tinted mass) in the reservoir.

Although I am concerned about the effect on my beer, I am also concerned about general effects and how to control or rid my well of this problem. I live in Virginia, with lots of quartzite so the water tends to be a bit acidic. I have a UV filter on the main supply line. I also have a sediment filter before the UV treatment. This is a shallow well, so it is highly likely that some organic matter is entering the water. However, I have had it tested and there are no VOCs, petroleum, or others chemical present. I believe that the well casing is not completely sealed, so that is something I need to address.

So, back to the question: anyone else dealt with this issue? How did you resolve it? Any recommended treatments or things you would recommend not using/doing?

Thanks.

Paul

At my old house I had nasty well water. I found shocking the well with chlorine was effective but the results were short lived. Fortunately we were able to switch to city water. We've since moved into a new house with an occasionally offensive well. I recently installed a triple 4x20 system with a 5 micron mechanical filter, a KDX85 filter, followed by an activated charcoal filter. That water goes through a softener. No more odor, slime, or other unpleasantness. The kdx85 is supposedly the part that takes care of the iron/sulphur issue. As I recall the ph of the water dictates wether green sand or kdx85 is more appropriate.

Since you seem to have a bacterial issue there was a device I found in my research that dispensed a chlorine tablet down the well pipe at intervals based on water usage. It bolted to the well head and apparently the concentration was low enough a charcoal filter could remove the chlorine if desired.

FWIW, I still don't brew with my water, the water going into the softener tastes like liquid chalk. I guess maybe its pre-Burtonized, but I'm going to stick with RO.

Back