Preparing Fruit for secondary

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vsusinga

Reaction score
Hey all! I recently brewed a wheat ale with blackberries that turned out terrific. I used the preservative-free Oregon brand canned blackberries. The next wheat beer i do i would like to try fresh melon. I am not too sure how to go about preparing it. Im afraid that if i boil it , i will boild it too long and release the pectins in the fruit. Does anyone have ant advice on this? Also , should chop it or puree it? If anyone could help me out on this id appreciate it

I hand chop the fruit put it in a pot with just enough water to cover it and heat to 170 for 20 minutes, cool, place in secondary and rack beer on top. That method has worked great for me

I would add pectic enzyme to break down the pectin in the fruit. I'm sure your LHBS will have it in the additives section.

I wouldn't boil or even heat melon, it gives a very unpleasant flavor when done, almost kike a cooked cucumber taste. For melons, just wash the outside very well, sanitize it, a knife, and the cutting board and either wash your hands exceptionally well or wear gloves.

Look up the watermelon wheat recipe by dubbeldach (sp?) on here. It is excellent and tried and true. I've done a watermelon beer several times as well as a honeydew beer and one with a melon called a santa claus melon. Only once did I try and heat the fruit and I'll never do it again! It works on other fruit, just not melon. Good luck!

I'm assuming you are going to add this via "dry hopping". If this is the case I really recommend that you do not boil it, I have never boiled fruit at home or at the brewery I work at and have never had issues with infections. I would, however, suggest you freeze it before you add it, freezing breaks down the cell walls in the fruit and allows more aroma to be extracted, thus more perceived flavor. If you are really worried about picking up some nasties and refuse to add it into you beer without some kind of sanitizing the I would say soak it in a neutral spirit like vodka that is 80 proof or higher, the only downside to this is that the vodka will strip some of your aroma/flavor out. I hope this helped, happy brewing!

Back