Pitched at 95F but....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

surferdrew

Reaction score
So I was wrapping up a Rochefort 10 clone today and I transferred what I thought was 75F wort onto my pitched starter. Problem was, it was actually 95F (my temperature probe was touching immersed wort chiller, leading me astray). Learned my lesson.

I was 1 gallon into racking onto the yeast when I realized my error so I put my sanitized wort chiller into fermenter bucket and was able to bring it down to 70F in 20 minutes (it was 88F outside which didn't help).

What might I expect re: off flavors if I was able to drop it down to the right temp before fermentation began?

I don't think you will get much off flavor at all. 95 wouldn't kill the yeast either. With a Belgian; it will probably be in style ;-)

True many Belgians have phenolic or estery profiles, however I'm wanting more of the dried fruit/fig/raisin qualities to shine through.

I'm wondering if dropping the wort down to 70 (though after coming into contact with the yeast at 95) was a good idea or wasted energy?

No sweat, the yeast will not have done much in 20 minutes. It was good to get the temp down quick.

Calder said:
No sweat, the yeast will not have done much in 20 minutes. It was good to get the temp down quick.

So, if it's more a matter of temperature during fermentation that is critical, is there a recognized temp limit that yeast will die upon contact?

ksbrain said:
I'm just shocked it was 88F there today. We had snow last night!!

Crazy! I was brewing in shorts and flip flops and still sweating!

Snow would have helped the wort chilling for sure!

I'm wondering if dropping the wort down to 70 (though after coming into contact with the yeast at 95) was a good idea or wasted energy?

i probably wouldn't have worried about it, just because if you shocked the yeast by adding them in hot, then they are already "shocked" or whatever. that's not enough to kill them though.

So, if it's more a matter of temperature during fermentation that is critical, is there a recognized temp limit that yeast will die upon contact?

i've heard of one, can't remember what it was. but i've read stories on here about people pitching their yeast almost right after boiling and it still being ok. granted this is not ideal, i think your beer will be fine.

lots of things CAN go wrong with home brewing for various reasons. and i think thats why people worry so much about their beer. but most of the time the beer survives despite our best efforts to destroy it. after reading all of the horror stories on HBT, and reading that the beer still turned out great, i've reduced my "brewing anxiety" A LOT. i just relax and try to do the right thing for my beer. I can't be perfect, so why stress about it.

cheers!:mug:

Back