1-Gallon Brewers UNITE!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I pretty much do the same thing. I always buy my grains unmilled (got my own handcrank mill) and store my hops in the freezer. My specialty grains currently reside in marked plastic bags but I like the mason jar idea better. My basemalt is in an old 5 gallon plastic primary fermenting bucket.

Cracked open my first bottle of American Wheat from northern brewer tonight. Looked good, smelled good, great carb to it. Tasted good going down, but left a mouthy after taste to it. Hard to explain really. Followed the instructions to a T and shocked it did this. Has anyone else brewed this before or any ideas what may have happened? Also used fizz drops to carb it up .

dp_brew said:
How do most of you buy your ingredients for 1 gal batches? Do you store some and wait on other ingredients? I was thinking of getting a few small 1 gal kits but deciding on shelf life of ingredients.

I try to keep my "go to" grains handy so I can brew any time. Base malt in 50lb sack fits 2 lowes buckets and then I have two 3 gallon buckets with different specialty grains. 2-3 lbs wheat, crystal 20,60, Munich, Vienna, a little chocolate, roasted barley etc. in smaller ziplocks into the bucket

rawkstar320 said:
I have a food grade 5 gallon bucket from Lowes ($5-6) with a lid that I store all my grain in. My yeast is in the fridge, and hops are in the chest freezer (double bagged in freezer bags). I usually have a 10lb bag of base malt and then one pound bags of special malts.

I would buy bulk, but I live an hour from the closest beer store, so I like to have supplies on hand.

Perfect setup! I also use the cheap vacuum sealer ( hand sealer) with zipper vacuum bags for hops, yeast and corn sugar

JWB said:
Great thread guys, I've been following it for a while. I'm currently on my 3rd all grain batch, 2 being 1-gallon, the middle one being a 3-gallon. I must say that I've enjoyed the one gallon batches better due to my limited space and perceived "ease" of production. I also like that I can make many different batches and hopefully improve my process each time. This 3rd batch now in primary fermentation (Belgian blonde with some agave nectar) was by far my smoothest batch yet. On a related note to the previous replies, how are the one gallon brewers scaling down their recipes? I obviously know to scale down 1/5 or 1/10 depending on the original recipe, but how do you account for the .25 lbs on the original bill? Do you convert to oz and scale it down from there? Thanks so much in advance, I am definitely loving this new hobby! Happy brewing.

Scaling became so much easier when I bought Beersmith and convert to grams before I brew.

HopHoarder said:
Sometimes I just do metric measurements instead as it's easier to scale down. With rgards to buying tiny amounts of specialty grains, I always buy at least 1lb at a time from my LHBS and keep the remaining grains for future batches.

rawkstar320 said:
I mill my own with a corona mill from Amazon. They only cost around $20.

Great investment! After reading Revvy's ugly junk thread, I bought a corn mill to grind my grain for small BIAB batches. When I do a large AG batch, I put it all together and bring it to my LHBS and mill on their mill which is setup for a regular grind. They don't mind at all because I tend to wander and pick something up and I buy everything I can there because they rock! Morebeer in Concord, Ca

cheesecake said:
Here us a picture. 1lb fits perfectly in a quart size mason jar.

And yes that is 24 specialty grains.

Cheesecake, I love that idea, I may convert my small grains to mason jars!

UnderThePorchBrewing said:
exactly what I do.

I spend a night every so often and create 3 to 5 "kits" of my own. measure out the grains etc and bag them in ziplock bags (uncrushed) then measure out the hops and reseal them in plastic bags (2 oz zipper bags) and store the small bags in a freezer bag in the freezer until brewday. then when I get a chance I grind the grains ( I also use a corona mill) and spend an evening usually twice a month on a wednesday brewing.

I just started doing this and maybe you wrote about this in another thread? I love this idea. I put together a few kits of small batches I want to brew. And bam, on a minutes notice...SWMBO has a plan to go out and I'm brewing!

Great to see some new posts to our thread... It's getting better all the time!k

I have a grain mill too. Though I bought mine because so much of the wheat flour in the store is actually rancid when you buy it. Rancid wheat flour isn't going to make you sick or anything, it just tastes bad.

I make my own rice flour too.

Hmm, maybe I should pickup some more grain and make a gruit...

I'm thinking of buying a hand crank mill. There's a lot of them on Amazon. Anyone got a specific link for one they like? Many thanks

Tasted my one (imperial) gallon barleywine yesterday and it's really turning out nice. I'll bottle it after christmas as it's still a tad lively after fermenting for two weeks.

So if I take a five gallon batch recipe and cut it down to a one gallon batch do I just divide all the ingredients by five? What about boil time? What are your guys before boil and after boil volumes?

I'm thinking of buying a hand crank mill. There's a lot of them on Amazon. Anyone got a specific link for one they like? Many thanks

Mine was an "Amazon fulfilled" seller, so I got free 2 day prime shipping. I prefer it that way, cheap and fast, plus easier to return.

With 1450 replys it's hard to follow any thought here. Perhaps these guys need their own section so questions and answers can be a bit more organized.

JollyIsTheRoger said:
Think of it more as a chat room than a forum. If questions get repeated, oh well.

That's a great attitude Jolly! Everyone once in a while I will see a question asked and someone will jump all over them for it. Calm down RDWHAHB it's someone excited about brewing!

Last edited by a moderator:
Last edited by a moderator:
Have any of you built like a one gallon hop rocket? I'm thinking of doing a pale ale with just 3 ozs of leaf hops at end of boil, no other additions. thoughts?

Have any of you built like a one gallon hop rocket? I'm thinking of doing a pale ale with just 3 ozs of leaf hops at end of boil, no other additions. thoughts?

I do a lot of whirlpool additions and I have actually done a beer like that with no boil hops and I would suggest doing a small addition at the beginning, without it your beer ends up tasting really sweet

I started with a kitchen pot, bags to do biab, a thermometer, a decent kitchen scale, a kitchen funnel, tubing for a blow off tube, four glass carboys, some airlocks, and a hydrometer.

Added a manual siphon, racking cane, and bottling wand

Oh and bottles.

Eventually I bought an igloo cooler for a mash tun, more carboys, airlocks, and bottles.

Mostly that's it.

Could anyone give me a overview of equipment i would need to do 1 gallon all grain batches?

Pots,brewbag.:) Basically. Then the standard bottleing stuff.Maybe convert a 2 gallon bucket into a bottleing bucket with spigot,autosiphon,bottle want etc. They actually sell the buckets at my LHBS-probably offer hole-drill service as well. You can buy your grains crushed or buy a grainmill or cheaper-a corona mill. You can get things like ph papers/brewing salts for your mash also.But you dont "have" to. John Palmers How to Brew book-(explains mashing good) or online. A thermometer or two. Sanitizer.Mini autosiphon-you wont regret getting one.Funnell,strainer,airlocks,cheap kitchen scale or nice semi-cheap digital scale.

Only thing I can add....make sure your digital scale has a grams settings. My hop additions are usually 2 to 4 grams each which is pretty light. I've owned a couple of kitchen scales and both had the gram units and they can be found at your big box stores.

i got a large (for me) amount of belma hops. Reading the belma thread, it seem theres is disagreement on belma solo v. With friends, so I am going to spilt 5 gallons x5 one gallon batches w various companion hops. This is one of the things I love about small batches. If I find a nice combo its easy to scale up.

bellmtbbq said:

Never tried a hop rocket. But hopping dry without bittering, flavor or armoma additions may lead to a sweet and malty beer?

Lets say you put in some bittering hops and dry hops only. The dry hop flavor would probably be great with the right hop but fade away quickly and leave nothing else to support the beer. Hope that makes sense. Just my thoughts but that's what a small batch test is all about now isn't it. I single hopped with HBC342 experimental hops and I can say I'm glad I did a small batch because this hop just doesn't seem like it adds much to the beer at all.

I started with a plastic 2 liter soda bottle, some ginger, sugar, yeast, and lemon juice. The gingerale was horrible, but it was the first thing I ever fermented. :)

Leadgolem said:
I started with a plastic 2 liter soda bottle, some ginger, sugar, yeast, and lemon juice. The gingerale was horrible, but it was the first thing I ever fermented. :)

I started with prunes sugar..... That's a different story lol

Massive trip to labs today to stock up before the weather turns.

I think tomorrow I'm going to do a variant of the cream of three crops cream ale.

Dme
Flaked corn
Rice hulls
Willamette
Yeast... Tbd

Thoughts?

Northern Brewer has a great one gallon starter kit

great company just placed an order for 24 different small items from them. they missed one and sent an extra of another (Christmas rush) they replied immediately and had the missing item in the mail within a couple of hours.
am waiting for their Dead Ringer IPA 1Gallon batch to finish.

The kit I use is from small batch homebrew. I like 1.25 Gallon batches so I get a twelve pack, and their 2 gallon fermenter and bottling bucket work well.
I also use tap-a-draft bottles as fermenters as they are brown and protect from light.

austin homebrew supply also has a starter kit as well for 1 gallon batches

UnderThePorchBrewing said:
great company just placed an order for 24 different small items from them. they missed one and sent an extra of another (Christmas rush) they replied immediately and had the missing item in the mail within a couple of hours.
am waiting for their Dead Ringer IPA 1Gallon batch to finish.

The kit I use is from small batch homebrew. I like 1.25 Gallon batches so I get a twelve pack, and their 2 gallon fermenter and bottling bucket work well.
I also use tap-a-draft bottles as fermenters as they are brown and protect from light.

austin homebrew supply also has a starter kit as well for 1 gallon batches

I always wonder about the tapa a draft system. Seems like a great idea for a small draft dispenser.

cheesecake said:
Why not add the minute rice?

I believe he would be using rice hulls to create a grain bed. At least, that's what I think he needs it for.

Used the white house beer recipes I had ordered to get some one into homebrewing. Put together a starter kit for him with some of the extra stuff I have. And brewed a batch with him and explained the process with him.

i actually started with ginger ale, too.

it was good.

i should make some for the holidays

good idea, thanks

Used the white house beer recipes I had ordered to get some one into homebrewing. Put together a starter kit for him with some of the extra stuff I have. And brewed a batch with him and explained the process with him.

that's a cool thing to do... i've been inviting my sons to participate, and one does, but i think he's just humoring me, because he likes the beer

Back