Variety selection?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

evanos

Reaction score
So, I'm considering putting in a few vines and I was wondering, if I had to pick three or four varieties, which would be the best. I've heard a few names many times (Cascade, Williamette, Magnum, Centennial, Chinook), but I don't know which to choose. Could you give me some suggestions of good base hops to have on hand?

Thanks and cheers!

No particulars, but as you have seen everywhere else you've searched and seen the same results... (ahem... cough... cough... goodnoobsearches... cough...)

Plant flavoring and aroma use hops as you most likely will not be sending them to a lab to evaluate AA levels and thus would not want to use them for bittering (unless you like unpleasant surprises).

Plant what you brew with. If you like American hoppy beers, plant the "C" hops. If you like beers from the mother land, plant the nobles. If you want hands off, like me, plant the american varieties that produce out the a$$. I've been leaning more towards hands off over the last few years and there are some great breeds out there that will produce with little care If you look. My second year newport got it's dick (ok, vagina since we're talking about female plants here;) ) kicked in again this year but it's still looking like I'll get a brewable harvest from a dwarf plant this year. Cascade seems to be a winner everywhere. Your climate is drastically different than mine so that is all that I can suggest, but definately grow some next year!

Edit: I just noticed you called them vines. They're perennial brotha, so they're called bines. SHOW SOME RESPECT!!

Well, thanks for the comments, guys :)
Today I placed an order for one of each of the following transplants:
Cascade, Hallertauer, Saaz, Centennial.

If I like 'em, I'll propagate. If not, I can always buy more.

I was curious if different varieties planted close to one another will cross pollinate and cause them to have a mix of characteristics.

Well, the place I bought from guaranteed female plants, so there won't be any pollination period.

Back