Buying bulk hops, etc...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

robertvrabel

Reaction score
I just started brewing and I'm interested in buying bulk hops, grains, and LME. I've only been doing extract batches so far. My question is, when you purchase say 1lbs of Hops and it comes in the airtight container... how do you guys go about using only 2oz of it for a brew, then sealing it back to freeze? Do you use a vacuum sealer or something?

I'm just curious what I'm going to need so I can store all this stuff properly. I obviously don't want to buy it and have it go bad. So if you could discuss your process that would be great! Thanks!

I buy from hopsdirect.com and use a vacuum sealer then store in the Freezer

According to brewstrong, keeping the hops in the freezer is much more important than the vacuum sealer. A heavy Zipper bag apparently works nearly as well.

I'll stick with the sealer though, might as well use it if I got it. A lot of people use mason jars with their sealers too.

Last edited by a moderator:
Dont waste your money on this, i tried it a few weeks ago and it sucks the air out of the bags great but within a few hours air is back in the bag. It is a good product just needs to improve the bags.

If i were you i would just spring for the real foodsaver or seal-a-meal.

Chromados

That's a bummer. It seems like the entry level foodsavers are horrible too. The only god ones are $180+ which is ridiculous for me to buy strictly to save hops... the saving money by buying bulk would not even out for a long time. Was hoping this cheap solution would do the trick!

That's a bummer. It seems like the entry level foodsavers are horrible too. The only god ones are $180+ which is ridiculous for me to buy strictly to save hops... the saving money by buying bulk would not even out for a long time. Was hoping this cheap solution would do the trick!

I havent heard many bad things about the cheap ones, i bought the seal-a-meal (Rival) from target for like $50 bucks. It was like $25 cheaper than the cheapest food saver and i havent had any problems with it at all. The only thing i have noticed is that you have to give it a minute to cool off. I bought that and a pack of pint sized bag for like 60 bucks and used it for 5 lbs of pellet hops broken down to 4oz and 1lb of whole hops into 2oz.

Hope this helps some.
Chromados

The one that takes 8" rolls. I can't seem to find it on Target or BBB, I think I got it at Kohl's.

So who has good deals on DME and LME?

I try and support my LHBS but the closest one is an hours drive and their DME is $3.99 a pound. Granted I do not pay shipping but I do pay tax and it is an hour in a direction that I wouldn't drive otherwise.

I've stored hops up to a year this way. I do use the BeerSmith tool for adjusting AA for age. IMHO, pellet hops store better long term than leaf. With pellet hops, I've always run out before noticing any adverse effects. But even after adjusting, I feel my leaf hops just aren't the same after 6-8 months.

FWIW, (back to food savers briefly) the black & decker knockoff works fine. It's the quality of the bag that I found matters - Get the genuine Food Saver bags and make sure the seal area is clean.

best $45...nah, but a good investment nonetheless

Latest posts

Back