Going to have to automate a bit...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MuddyCreek

Reaction score
So I got a big old monster cooler for my mashing. Installed a sight tube and a temperature gauge as well as drilled a bulkhead for my drain and screen.

It's a thing of beauty. However, it's too damn big. I generally brew 5.5 gallon batches and the thing has too much headspace and a poorly insulated lid so frankly I cannot control the temperature inside. I start at my strike temp of say, 168 and dough in, then I watch in dismay as the mash temperature drops, slowly at first then consistently to around 140. There seems to be very little I can do about it. I've insulated, tried to put the mash tun in a heated room etc. but I consistently lose all my heat.

Therefore... I am going to plug in a march pump and route wort through the old HERM coil immersed in the hot liquor tank. I haven't bought any PIDs or anything. at first I will be happily sipping beer and manually running the pump whenever my mash tun indicates that the temperature is slipping. I plan on keeping the liquor tank around 160 or 165 and the sincere hope is that I can better control the temperature in my mash until I am ready to drop the long green on a control panel to manage the pump and liquor tank as well as mash temperature.

I suppose it just means more time for me to sit and drink beer. My brews have been fine, but I can't hit the consistency I want with my OG and FG readings. So... Off I go to the next step in madness.

Update on this thread, for those who care... (crickets...)

I ended up buying a smaller cooler. A 7 gallon one to be precise. Probably a bit small but the best kind of jerk is a knee-jerk.

I put the manual herms system together some time ago and have dialed in the process quite well. I went from an abysmally low 50 something percent efficiency to the 90s with my last two batches. I do this through careful regulation of temperature and using an infusion mash and raising the temperature slowly and giving it a protein rest.

Now I have nearly finished my tool-box build for the EHERMS and I will likely have to start all over getting used to the equipment but the good news... I still get to sit in my garage and drink beer while brewing beer. For that I can put up with almost no end of BS.

My next big MLT upgrade is going to be a false bottom. I probably went a bit overboard on the crush on my last batch (what kind of jerk do we love?) and as a result I had to really work to keep my stainless coil clear so the pump didn't get stuck. I plan on adding a false bottom over the coil so that's less of an issue.

I'll post pictures when I'm finished if it isn't too damn ugly.

Ok, wrapped up the false bottom tonight. Used 1/2" pvc for the frame and built a screen (just like a screen window) to put over the frame. I also installed the thermocouple probe into the mash tun tonight and did the leak-test. Everything seemed to hold the the TC is within 1 degree of my kettle thermometer.

Tomorrow I'll install the heating element into the HLT and wire up the 2nd PID to handle it and I should be set to run a full test on Saturday. I'll still have to heat the BK with propane until I get a higher wattage heating element installed into it but the mash-side of the operation will all be automated by my next brew session.

Sounds good. Nothing like drinking beer while brewing beer. Good luck w/ the remaining automation.:mug:

Back