Trois Pistoles

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

georgeW

Reaction score
I brewed a high gravity AG clone of Trois Pistoles this past weekend from the recipe in Beer Captured. The directions called for an addition of yeast three days prior to bottling.
I typically make a huge starter for my high graity beers and introduce a lot of oxygen. After a week in primary and a week or so of secondary fementation is it a good idea to oxygenate again when adding another dose of yeast? Or should I just add the yeast starter and forget oxygenation or just forget the second yeast addition all together?
Thanks in advance for any help,
georgeW

What explanation does it give for the addition? I would imagine that with three days before bottling, the fermentation & conditioning would be complete and the additional yeast is to ensure priming.

I've got a copy of that book.

The authors recommend adding fresh yeast 3 days prior to bottling for all of their higher gravity beers to aid in carbonation. It is not related to the main fermentation process. Pitching fresh yeast is prior to bottling is recommended with beers that have been sitting in secondary for extended periods of time (a couple of months or more).

Trois Pistoles is pretty highly carbonated as I recall. Seems like a good idea to add extra yeast at bottling to ensure you get that and stay true to the original.

Maybe you could add the yeast to some cool boiled water and oxygenate that. Or if you are making a starter maybe oxygenate the starter.

Trois Pistoles is one of my favourite beers. Any chance you could be bothered posting the recipe?

I have that book as well. One of my buddies made that batch some time ago and it is excellent. I have made many big belgians (up to 12%) with only making a huge starter, adding yeast nutrient for primary, and oxygenating. I have yet to add yeast before bottling and all of my big beers have turned out great. The only way that I would add yeast at bottling is if the beer stayed in secondary for a lengthy period of time (over 1 year, like a lambic). Good luck!

Latest posts

Back