Killed Yeast In Very Hot Wort

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Eigenbeer

Reaction score
I am very new to brewing and today I made a pretty dumb mistake by pitching my yeast into very hot wort. I will never forget (or repeat) this again but I know for a fact it was way too hot for the yeast to survive. What I am wondering now is, 1) Once the wort is cooled can I just pitch new yeast in tomorrow? and 2) Is there any way of removing the dead yeast to prevent off flavors?

Thanks!

Pitch more yeast as soon as you get the wort below 70 degrees. You're not getting the dead yeast out of there, but it most likely won't hurt anything and may even provide added nutrients for your live yeast.

Can you define "very hot wort" Don't worry about the dead yeast, the new yeast will eat them.

Just repitch once cooled. The dead yeast is actually a yeast nutrient, so in a way, you helped it :)

Thanks for the reassuring words. For whatever reason I forgot to chill my wort and put it in at about 140 degrees. Immediately after pitching the yeast I realized what I did and put my primary in an ice bath.

I pitched yeast at 80 degrees and no problem here. My airlock is bubbling like crazy :)

OK, I'm new to the forum.

I think I just did the same mistake.

My wort was about 90/95°F ; Should I re-pitch some yeast ? How can I know if I need ?

Thanks a lot.
Vincent.

OK, I'm new to the forum.

I think I just did the same mistake.

My wort was about 90/95°F ; Should I re-pitch some yeast ? How can I know if I need ?

Thanks a lot.
Vincent.

90 or 95 is probably okay. You may well get some off flavors, but the yeast should survive.

OK, thanx BrewDad !
And, just in case it didn't, when should I add new yeast ? And how much ?

Thanks again.

Visible signs of fermentation can take up to 72 hours to start. If you don't see any activity by then I'd repitch.
vincent66 said:
OK, thanx BrewDad !
And, just in case it didn't, when should I add new yeast ? And how much ?

Thanks again.

Edit:
I'd use the required amount needed for the gravity and quantity of the beer being made.
Check out yeastcalc.com for pitching calculators

Thank you.

So I have a few hours to go buy some, just in case ...
Usually, it starts just a few hours after I add the Yeast.

Even if you don't SEE activity, before you consider repitching, you should take a hydrometer reading and verify for SURE whether or not you have activity (I assume you know your OG).

You stressed the yeast. But 90-95 won't kill much of them, as was stated. You'll probably just get some off flavors.

Even if you don't SEE activity, before you consider repitching, you should take a hydrometer reading and verify for SURE whether or not you have activity (I assume you know your OG).

You stressed the yeast. But 90-95 won't kill much of them, as was stated. You'll probably just get some off flavors.
Thanks for your help.

Honestly, I have no idea how to measure the "OG" ! :confused:
But I see some bubbling now.

The beer is 2X IPA. Well, that's what I expect it to be !!!

What are you brewing and with what yeast? 80 is about 15 degrees warmer than I'd like. :drunk:

Rick

I brewed an Autumn Amber Ale with Safale S-04 yeast. I didn't even rehydrate the yeast and they took off like crazy :ban:

Thanks for your help.

Honestly, I have no idea how to measure the "OG" ! :confused:
But I see some bubbling now.

The beer is 2X IPA. Well, that's what I expect it to be !!!

With your next purchase buy both of these to take a hydrometer reading.

http://www.midwestsupplies.com/hydrometer-triplescale.html
http://www.midwestsupplies.com/hydrometer-test-jar-12-plastic.html

Or get them at your LHBS.

Take a reading before you pitch the yeast to get your OG. If your OG is in the realm of what the recipe calls for then you know you brewed it correctly. When you think fermentation is complete you can take 2 or 3 more readings for your FG over a 2 or 3 day period. If the reading is consistent over a couple days then you know fermentation is complete and you can rack to secondary or bottle. The FG and OG readings will tell you what your ABV is.

Back