Microscope Pix of Hoppy Goodness

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrewChem

Reaction score
These are some pics taken with an optical stereo microscope of a part of a Fuggles cone from my garden... looks sorta like a Hoppy Butterfly.. lol

You can make out the lupilin glands at the base of the leafs surrounded by little, yellow globules of the 'good stuff'

7x magnification...

image-2728013393.jpg

I work in a chem lab and am going to take some pics with an electron microscope next week.... I can measure the

BrewChem said:
I work in a chem lab and am going to take some pics with an electron microscope next week.... I can measure the

Nice I'm jealous of the SEM. I'd imagine they're somewhere between 160-200 microns, let me know. Thanks, Mitch.

Good idea..! Call that first pic 'The Wings of Hoppyness'

Cool idea..! Could call that first pic "The Wings of Hoppy-ness". Haha..!

Sorry about the double-post... stupid iPhone said the first one didn't go through

Now for some REALLY COOL pix... these were taken with a scanning electron microscope (SEM)... because a SEM operates under a heavy vacuum, the lupulin blobs collapsed due to the moisture being sucked out of them... this is at 25X magnification... I'll post some higher magnification pix later today...

F-25.jpg

Damn - that is really cool. Thanks for sharing.

They (and other beer related things like yeast, grain, etc.) would make some cool framed prints to hang on the wall by your bar.....or my bar:)

That is some cool **** right there man, thanks for sharing those! It's amazing how alien some things look that close up.

Didn't think about freeze drying..! I'll keep that in mind..!

I put up a thread some time ago with some SEM pics of some dried yeast. When I rack the batch I have in the primary, I'm planning on collecting some if the yeast cake. I'm hoping to see sone of the scars on the cells from them budding...

Latest posts

Back