Breweries not to miss in Boise/ID/Yellowstone/WY/MT

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

joshuafields

Reaction score
Hey all, I hope this isn't too off topic for this section of the forum. My girlfriend and I are going to be flying to Boise in mid-June, and spending about 10 days looping to Yellowstone and the Tetons and back. I'd like to check out Big Sky, on the big end of things, but would appreciate any other suggestions for breweries/brewpubs that I shouldn't miss. I'm psyched to see this amazing region for the first time!

Thanks for your time!

<edit>: I should note that I did find this map of Yellowstone-area breweries/brewpubs, but don't know anything about these places. To put it slightly bluntly, I guess I'm trying to narrow it down to the best spots.

http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=U....91272&spn=1.466718,3.048706&z=8&source=embed

I'm from Billings, but have been living overseas for a while. I've never been to Angry Hanks or Carters, but I've heard they have great beer. Start with Yellowstone Brewery and work your way down to Montana Brewing Co, as the Yellowstone Brewery, Angry Hanks, and Carters don't have a full blown liquor license and only offer "tasting rooms" and close around 8pm. Montana Brewing Co. is a full blown bar, so you end the night there. All the beer from Montana Brewing Co. is great especially the Espresso Porter, my favorite beer in the world, but I believe is only a seasonal beer during the winter.

Snake River Brewing is in Jackson itself and not a bad brewpub at all. Try the Custer's Last Ale.

Grand Teton Brewing Co is about 30 mins outside Jackson and also has some great beers. I'm a fan of the ***** Creek and Sweetgrass APA.

Enjoy the area. I get up there every chance I get.

Billings - Carters, Mt Brew Co, Angry Hanks all make good beer
Bozeman - Bozeman Brewing Co (aka Bozone)
Helena - Blackfoot River (this is my "local" brewpub, try the IPA for sure. Thursdays they have firkins)
Missoula - Kettlehouse and Bayern (German styles)

Sockeye brewing and Highlands Hollow Brewpub are the two in Boise I'd recommend.

In the western Wyoming area: Snake River Brewing has an absurd amount of awards, the Zonker Stout is amazing especially in the cask. Thai Me Up restaurant has a few pretty extreme beers brewed there. Grand Teton Brewing over the pass into Idaho has great beer as well, Wildlife brewing is over there too in Victor Id. Lander Brewing has some good stuff if you head a little east.

I live in Jackson so if you have questions about anything Teton related let me know!

You want to check out BigSky Brewing? You will be in for one heck of a drive from Yellowstone because Missoula isn't even close. It's good but not worth the extra 7 or so hours one way. I would come to visit Kettlehouse or Bayern in Missoula before Bigsky anyway but then again Missoula is my destination when I go to Montana.

You want to check out BigSky Brewing? You will be in for one heck of a drive from Yellowstone because Missoula isn't even close. It's good but not worth the extra 7 or so hours one way. I would come to visit Kettlehouse or Bayern in Missoula before Bigsky anyway but then again Missoula is my destination when I go to Montana.

Well, we're flying into/out of Boise, so we'll probably dip down south in Idaho, come up through Tetons/Jackson, up through Yellowstone, and then back toward Boise arcing northwest and then southwest. I'm not sure that we'll make it to Missoula, but it's a possibility.

Thanks to everyone for the excellent input -- keep it coming!

I found this thread just in time! I'm headed to Yellowstone (via Las Vegas) in just under 2 weeks.

I found this thread just in time! I'm headed to Yellowstone (via Las Vegas) in just under 2 weeks.

Same here Kelsch! What's your plan while there? It looks like primarily camping/hiking/soaking it all up on my end.

If you do make it to Missoula, head back to Idaho through Stevensville, Mt and stop at the Blacksmith Brewery. It is well worth the visit.

Red Lodge Ales in Red Lodge is pretty good as well. Bones Brewing in Billings is another one to add to the Billings list. Most bars here have a decent selection of local micros on tap. I believe it the same in Red Lodge.

Latest posts

Back