wanting to brew a rye

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

edie

Reaction score
had the rocky mountain rye from smuggler's brewery in telluride again this year while at the blues and brews festival. love that beer! love that festival!

i've wanted to brew a rye but every extract recipe has ibu's at 35-40+. too hoppy for me. anyone know of a recipe with maybe a 15-25 tops?

Are you using kits? Maybe its time to design your own recipe??? 15-25 IBU's

35-40+ IBU's does not necessarily mean hoppy. It really depends how it's done i.e. late aroma additions versus early bittering ones...

I'm just saying.

Try this one from NB since you will be using their LME anyway.

http://www.northernbrewer.com/documentation/beerkits/AmericanRye.pdf

Doesn't seem to list the IBU's but they can't be much with those hops listed in those amounts.

My go-to rye uses Chinook. Chinook has a high alpha, but if you use a single addition that should reduce the bitterness. Rye is spicy and I think you can bring out that spicyness by introducing bready malts (think rye bread). To not hide the rye, I wouldn't much else in. Hope that gives you some direction.

Back