Momma don't let your babies...lawyers...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jawats

Reaction score
All,

Just a general recommendation. If your children are considering law school, do whatever it takes to keep them out of it for now. My reasoning: it's overpriced, the market is glutted (therefore, salaries are very low and hiring is way down), and law schools are playing games with their employment statistics to get people in.

In other words: it's too expensive and jobs are extremely scarce.

Just an FYI. Have a good weekend!

So true. There are more lawyers in the state of Texas than on the entire continent of Europe. My wife is about to finish her final year in this overly litigious state. Are you still a student?

So true. There are more lawyers in the state of Texas than on the entire continent of Europe. My wife is about to finish her final year in this overly litigious state. Are you still a student?

TexasAggie - Far from it. I have been practicing in two states since 2005.

Business school is a great alternative. Less work, more jobs.

jawats said:
TexasAggie - Far from it. I have been practicing in two states since 2005.

I thought I wanted to go to law school but after seeing what they make you go through I would have either quit or failed out. There is always beer to make everything feel better.

True. There IS always beer...until someone dies because of a bad batch. And then there will be angry MAHBs (Mothers against home brewing) petitioning Congress to shut down homebrewing, etc...etc...etc...

I always wanted to be a lawyer when I was younger, but decided another occupation would let me sleep better at night. So I became a male stripper.:)

All,

Just a general recommendation. If your children are considering law school, do whatever it takes to keep them out of it for now. My reasoning: it's overpriced, the market is glutted (therefore, salaries are very low and hiring is way down), and law schools are playing games with their employment statistics to get people in.

In other words: it's too expensive and jobs are extremely scarce.

Just an FYI. Have a good weekend!

And I thought this thread was going to be rant about lawyers being money grubbing, blood sucking leaches and basically a black plague on society. Can't judge a thread by it's title, eh?

On the keg - it's more honorable as well. ;-)

@DeafSmith - When it's for your own good, or as it is called these days, "the common good", the government can get into most any mischief....

We would do well to remember our Tocqueville and our C.S. Lewis:

"Above this race of men stands an immense and tutelary power, which takes upon itself alone to secure their gratifications and to watch over their fate. That power is absolute, minute, regular, provident, and mild. It would be like the authority of a parent if, like that authority, its object was to prepare men for manhood; but it seeks, on the contrary, to keep them in perpetual childhood: it is well content that the people should rejoice, provided they think of nothing but rejoicing. For their happiness such a government willingly labors, but it chooses to be the sole agent and the only arbiter of that happiness; it provides for their security, foresees and supplies their necessities, facilitates their pleasures, manages their principal concerns, directs their industry, regulates the descent of property, and subdivides their inheritances: what remains, but to spare them all the care of thinking and all the trouble of living?" - Tocqueville

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron’s cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience. They may be more likely to go to Heaven yet at the same time likelier to make a Hell of earth. Their very kindness stings with intolerable insult. To be ‘cured’ against one’s will and cured of states which we may not regard as disease is to be put on a level of those who have not yet reached the age of reason or those who never will; to be classed with infants, imbeciles, and domestic animals." —C. S. Lewis

If I had a time machine, I would go back 9 years and convince 23 year old me to put that law school application in the shredder. Oh well, I consider myself fairly lucky, I have a job.

And I thought this thread was going to be rant about lawyers being money grubbing, blood sucking leaches and basically a black plague on society. Can't judge a thread by it's title, eh?

Nope. Besides, I rather enjoy being the Shadow.

Long ago I decided to avoid the legal profession ... in part because getting established as an attorney can be such an ugly slog. This seems to end up with lotsa lawyers starting as liability attorneys ... a group whose TV commercials and behavior in general tends to piss me off something fierce. Don't like 'em and don't want to be like 'em.
Methinks a sentiment that is widely held ... and nothing new.
Way back in Shakespeare’s play Henry the Sixth a guy named Dick the Butcher suggests: “The first thing we do, let's kill all the lawyers.” ... so even back then.

Interestingly, that was in part a response to a guy named Cade the Rebel who made a statement that included amongst other things, that he wanted to “make it felony to drink small beer”.

Kill the lawyers and ban light-beers. Shakespeare ... a man ahead of his times.

It's the ABA accrediation that has kept me away from pursuing a JD. If I could enroll part time or via online, I would absolutely pursue it. I have taken the LSAT and did well, but at my age, I don't want to quit and go back to poverty to enroll. I have a technical undergraduate degree and an MBA in corporate finance, but if I enrolled in one of the online programs that are available, I could only sit for the bar to practice in the state of California. That doesn't help me in NY.

I work at a law school and I see the crap they are selling to students telling them they are going to be super stars. And they buy it hook line and sinker. It's ridiculous, makes me glad I'm not a lawyer. This article here from the new york times pretty much sums up the current state of affairs of law school.

Yeah it's sad to see all the law student here at UW that are trying to make loan payments on essentially paralegal work. I'm sure there are plenty of jobs for Harvard/Yale Law grads with clerkships at the Supreme Court but it seems real rough for most. I wanted to be a lawyer until I worked at my dad's firm for a couple of months.

It's the ABA accrediation that has kept me away from pursuing a JD. If I could enroll part time or via online, I would absolutely pursue it. I have taken the LSAT and did well, but at my age, I don't want to quit and go back to poverty to enroll. I have a technical undergraduate degree and an MBA in corporate finance, but if I enrolled in one of the online programs that are available, I could only sit for the bar to practice in the state of California. That doesn't help me in NY.

There are plenty of part time programs but it's not part time like an MBA or undergrad where you can take one or two classes at a time. At my school there are plenty of people who work full time and go to school part time. Still others have kids, so they must never sleep.

There are a few states that allow you to read the law to sit for the bar (Vermont comes to mind) but I don't think that helps you in NY unless you go to one of those states and they have a reciprocity agreement with NY that allows you to waive into NY. I doubt NY has such an agreement because its bar seems to have real jackass rules about who can practice in NY.

California's system is...well, bizarre.

Back